Zonda best price

rollemynot
rollemynot Posts: 436
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I was just about to push the button on new hoops, I was between Fulcrum quattro's and pushing my budget up to Zonda's....

Woke up this morning in positive mood and was going to order Zonda's - to my horror the price has gone up to £273. I know not much but when I buy a new cassette, chain and a 25 conti GP4000 it becomes to much to justify.

Do I wait it out for a reduction, go back to the quattro's or look elsewhere.

My current wheels are R5's and getting very close to the rims wearing out - average rider weighing approx 80kg

Thoughts

Comments

• matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    Pair in the classifieds for £175, although Shim / SRAM freehub.

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13062633
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As above. Buy them before I do
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 848
    Same boat as you. Although Ribble still listing the Zonda's at £250. Price match them if you want somewhere else.

Trying to make up mind between Fulcrum racing 5 LG, Fulcrum racing Quattro (80g heavier, but deeper rim) or the Zonda's.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Ribble also do a wheel /tyre deal for £259. Tyres and tubes are worth more than £9.
  • chatlow
    lesfirth wrote:
    Ribble also do a wheel /tyre deal for £259. Tyres and tubes are worth more than £9.

nice. the added gatorskin tyres and tubes saves £50
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Bear in mind that, though lighter, the Zonda are, I think, 15c internal against the other two being 17c. So if you want that new wide tyre thing going on........
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • chatlow
    Bear in mind that, though lighter, the Zonda are, I think, 15c internal against the other two being 17c. So if you want that new wide tyre thing going on........

I am gonna be adding 25mm tyres to the setup, Zonda should be okay with these right?
  • bendertherobot
    chatlow wrote:

I am gonna be adding 25mm tyres to the setup, Zonda should be okay with these right?

Absolutely, it's just about whether you subscribe to the wider rims and better tyre shape school of thought. Hence they the LG versions of the 4 and 5 exist. (I'd imagine that the 3 will follow suit in the end).
  • Out of curiosity, is there any reason the wider rim has not been adopted for the Fulcrum racing 3 or zeros? Do any of the Campagnolo alloy range use the wider rim?
  • bendertherobot
    Out of curiosity, is there any reason the wider rim has not been adopted for the Fulcrum racing 3 or zeros? Do any of the Campagnolo alloy range use the wider rim?

I guess it's either because a) they're doing it in stages or b) don't subscribe yet to the "fast racing wider rim."

I'd be surprised if b were true given that many are moving on even at the higher levels. The Ksyrium is now 17c for example
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Zondas work fine with 25s and I can see why they are so popular. However, I found the Zondas to be quite 'harsh' and they needed the 25s to help smooth them out a bit, and running at the lower PSIs possible definitely helped.

Good all round wheel. They did wear out a bit quick for me (~14-16 months) but they had done at least 6,000 miles by then in all weathers and bearing maintenance (whilst regularly needed) was a doddle with good cup/cones.

I have recently moved to a 17mm internal width wheel and that has been a bit of eye opening for me though in terms of road holding and stability.
  • bendertherobot
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    The Zondas work fine with 25s and I can see why they are so popular. However, I found the Zondas to be quite 'harsh' and they needed the 25s to help smooth them out a bit, and running at the lower PSIs possible definitely helped.

Good all round wheel. They did wear out a bit quick for me (~14-16 months) but they had done at least 6,000 miles by then in all weathers and bearing maintenance (whilst regularly needed) was a doddle with good cup/cones.

I have recently moved to a 17mm internal width wheel and that has been a bit of eye opening for me though in terms of road holding and stability.

Yep. I moved to the Quattro from the Aksium for this. Didn't lose weight but gained aero (right) and width. Tyre that bit wider as a result. It's a slight sideways step but will do until I decide what "best" wheels to get. Since I had no issues climbing on the Aksium I didn't have any weight issue.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Thanks all for your thoughts...

Gonna sleep on it an procastrinate some more...

I don't need Zonda's and their funky G3 rear wheel - but I subscribe to the more I like my bike the more I want to ride it mentality
  • Sleep and if price goes down feel better and wait some more.

Sleep and if price goes up get annoyed… And lose sleep.

simples! ;-).
  • chatlow
    The ribble package deal only offers the Zonda wheels with camag hub not shimano.

I would need to change my cassette for campag, but what about my RD, chain shifters and chainrings.. All shimano :-(

Might be cheaper and cheaper to swap the hub
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    chatlow wrote:
    The ribble package deal only offers the Zonda wheels with camag hub not shimano.

I would need to change my cassette for campag, but what about my RD, chain shifters and chainrings.. All shimano :-(

Might have mis-remembered this but I thought the spacings on all 11-speed cassettes were now the same so that you could run an 11-speed Campag cassette with everything else being Shimano 11-speed.

Not too sure If I'm right but, if so, you could buy the Campag wheelset and buy a Campag cassette to run with your Shimano groupset.
  • chatlow
    arlowood wrote:
    chatlow wrote:

Might have mis-remembered this but I thought the spacings on all 11-speed cassettes were now the same so that you could run an 11-speed Campag cassette with everything else being Shimano 11-speed.

Not too sure If I'm right but, if so, you could buy the Campag wheelset and buy a Campag cassette to run with your Shimano groupset.

^^ Need to confirm this. If I can continue with Shimano parts (other than cassette) then I will buy the wheel package now, but if not, I will leave it a couple of weeks and just replace other parts with Campag stuff on pay day
  • 0ced0
    0ced0 Posts: 46
    chatlow wrote:
    arlowood wrote:
    chatlow wrote:

^^ Need to confirm this. If I can continue with Shimano parts (other than cassette) then I will buy the wheel package now, but if not, I will leave it a couple of weeks and just replace other parts with Campag stuff on pay day

it works.
  • bendertherobot
    It does work. But, as you say, you need a new cassette. Just to get some free rigid Gators?

https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-ra ... 85433.html

Racing 5 only 100g more but £229 including Gp4000iiS and tubes.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    arlowood wrote:
    chatlow wrote:

Thats correct the 11 speed spacing between groupset is so close that it makes no difference.

One of my mates did say to me just last week he's thinking of selling one of his sets of zonda because he's gone down the hand built route, I said to him nah just hold on to them if there's real interest then I'll ask him if he still wants to sell, at a lot cheaper than the prices I've seen in this thread so far.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • chatlow
    itboffin wrote:
    arlowood wrote:
    chatlow wrote:

Thats correct the 11 speed spacing between groupset is so close that it makes no difference.

One of my mates did say to me just last week he's thinking of selling one of his sets of zonda because he's gone down the hand built route, I said to him nah just hold on to them if there's real interest then I'll ask him if he still wants to sell, at a lot cheaper than the prices I've seen in this thread so far.

Thanks - but I would be going from a 9 speed shimano setup to 10 speed. So Zonda wheels with campag cassette - but everything else shimano 105/tiagra 10 speed?
  • 0ced0
    0ced0 Posts: 46
    10-speed spacing is different on campy vs shimano. works, but sub-optimal.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    0ced0 wrote:
    10-speed spacing is different on campy vs shimano. works, but sub-optimal.

Yep I ran that setup myself for a while and only one gear was noisy 11 speed would be 100%

There's also devices for cross compatibility jtec I think
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.