Which pedals and shoes

romany
romany Posts: 22
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I've just bought my first racer and am looking for some shoes and pedals now. Any advice on a decent set of pedals and shoes without breaking the bank would be much appreciated

Comments

• 852Kompol
    852Kompol Posts: 67
    So you planning go clipped in then, Here's some food for thought.
    First, would you be walking a lot in it? if yes go mountain bike shoes/cleats
    Shoe are very, very Personal kind of stuff and even the tiniest of not fitting can result in great pain (given how hard you pedal, it is not worth to bare extra pain). Personally I would go try a few at the LBS, but if you have the cash to spare, heat-moldable shoes are far greater options as you can make the shoes fit you and not the other way around, some are not even that expensive *bont riots* but they're still not for everyone.
    Pedals wise I would go for whatever most of your mates are riding on/ easiest to get in your local area. go for something with some adjust-ability if its your first pair, for me its either the Keo or Shimano SPDSL...(go Keo)
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    'racer' - means nothing, what bike, what are you intending on doing with it? Actual racing? Or are you just using that term to mean road bike?

'break the bank' - means nothing. We don't know if you have £1,000,000 in that bank account or 14p.
  • romany
    romany Posts: 22
    Sorry guys the bike is a Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra and as far as spending I was thinking of around £100 on shoes and about £60 on pedals. Cheers I won't be doing any racing just enjoyable road miles with my son
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you want to walk easily at cafe stops - get some MTB type shoes and double sided pedals. I like Time ATAC but you can get SPD too.

If you're all about maximum watts and speed - get some carbon sole road shoes and Looks, or SPD-SL. They are slippy in cafes though.
  • markhewitt1978
    Romany wrote:
    Sorry guys the bike is a Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra and as far as spending I was thinking of around £100 on shoes and about £60 on pedals. Cheers I won't be doing any racing just enjoyable road miles with my son

Cool. The good news is that you don't need to spend anywhere near that amount. My usual recommendation is M520 pedals £18 and Shimano M089 shoes £50. So the lot for less than £70.

An upgrade from that would be M540 pedals which are about £23.50 on Wiggle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m540-pedals/

Others here will disagree I have no doubt but the vast majority of riders who aren't racing or looking for every gramme of performance out of their bike then SPD is the best pedal system by far. Even if it's only for the fact that you can hop off your bike and walk into the coffee shop without giving your shoes a second thought.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Bear in mind the OP hasn't actually ridden a road bike yet (see other thread) so he may be better off with some simple flat (or caged) pedals and training shoes until he gets the hang of it.
  • markhewitt1978
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Bear in mind the OP hasn't actually ridden a road bike yet (see other thread) so he may be better off with some simple flat (or caged) pedals and training shoes until he gets the hang of it.

Ah, agreed. Just some basic flat pedals and trainers would work to start with.