TdF Commentary Rumours

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,391
edited April 2016 in Pro race
INRG is saying that every stage of next years (2017) TdF will be broadcast in full (Partly backed up by Tour de Jose* and Carlton Kirby)

Kirby and INRG are saying that plans are afoot to switch the commentators around a la Test Match Special

*Jose Been is the Dutch ES commetator
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Luckily Artificial Intelligence has advanced to the stage where Eurosport will have a virtual reality David Duffield based on his greatest commentaries to get us through the hours upon hours upon hours of tedium.
  • ddraver
    I should add (I was a bit premature with the thread, should ve waited for the twitter convo to play out), Jose is calling it a commentator's worst nightmare...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    I should add (I was a bit premature with the thread, should ve waited for the twitter convo to play out), Jose is calling it a commentator's worst nightmare...

That's ironic as listening to Jose Been for any length of time is my etc etc etc
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Could explain why all of Sunday's race is being televised.
    I guess you can have too much of a good thing, or in the case of certain commentators, just too much.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    I quite enjoy seeing the beginning of stages, and having the cycling on in the background even when nothing much is ever going to happen. Makes for good background noise/images.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • ddraver wrote:

That's ironic as listening to Jose Been for any length of time is my etc etc etc

Quite so

*stabs at eyes with matchsticks*
  • ddraver
    something about Dutch commentary....It's even more hipster than some of our correspondents...
    - @ddraver
  • If you watch the french tv coverage, there is live action plus studio guests / regional features / relevant news etc to pad out the all day action.

Listening to that clueless fool Kirby all day would be enough to turn you insane.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    If you watch the french tv coverage, there is live action plus studio guests / regional features / relevant news etc to pad out the all day action.

Ahhh, the good old days of two guys in a studio in front of green screen giving the appearance of them floating above the bread bowl of France while they chatted about nothing much at all to disguise the fact that nothing much at all was happening on the roads 'beneath' them.

Simpler times :(
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Could this be a move by ASO to increase advertising revenues, if negotiations get heated around sharing revenue then they have some crumbs to throw the way of the teams/Velon?

Suppose with 7 hours to fill at least Kirby will be able to list every rider who is racing and talk about them with a chance to win, rather the the usual 40 or 50 he manages to shoehorn in the current coverage.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    mr_poll wrote:
    Could this be a move by ASO to increase advertising revenues, if negotiations get heated around sharing revenue then they have some crumbs to throw the way of the teams/Velon?

Suppose with 7 hours to fill at least Kirby will be able to list every rider who is racing and talk about them with a chance to win, rather the the usual 40 or 50 he manages to shoehorn in the current coverage.
    The trouble is he will be talking for ages about someone who isn't even races and how great a chance he has
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Couldn't they just play some music for the first half
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    If it were 40 or 50, it wouldn't be so bad.
    4 or 5 more like.
    There is only so much Si Clarking a man can take.

I find it amazing that Eurosport consider his "work" to be of an acceptable professional standard.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    If it were 40 or 50, it wouldn't be so bad.
    4 or 5 more like.
    There is only so much Si Clarking a man can take.

I find it amazing that Eurosport consider his "work" to be of an acceptable professional standard.

I honestly believe the only cycling-related media he comes into contact with is what he sees on the screen in front of him. I would doubt he takes any of the magazines, listens to the podcasts, reads the forums or news pages. His knowledge is exceptionally superficial for someone who closely watches more televised cycling than practically any of us.
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    Kirby's inane drivel is horrific. He's such a wazzuck. My heart sinks when I realise he's covering a race.

So much of what he says has me cringing, but the current low point is his repetition of "as you can see" every 30 seconds. Yes Carlton, I'm watching the telly, I can see the pictures, you don't have to constantly remind me that I can see the pictures, you utter clampit.