12mm hub on 15mm forks

Willst0ne
Willst0ne Posts: 23
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Ive got 12mm disc wheels set and 15mm forks. Is there a fixing that would reduce the fork thru bolt diameter to accept the 12mm wheels? Is this possible? If so how?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hub might be adaptable, depending what it is. Fork is unlikely to be.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Willst0ne
    That was what I was worried about. I've got a cube with a 12mm front hub and fork. I've been looking everywhere for a 12mm fork to build onto a new frame but can't find one anywhere so was hoping I could make an adapter for s 15mm fork
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    12mm? What fork is it?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've never heard of a 12mm front axle.
    Fronts are normally 9mm, 15mm or 20mm.
    12mm is normally only rear axles.
  • Willst0ne
    They are out there. TRP do a 12mm front fork but it's more expensive than my bike. I was looking at a fix but there looks like there may not be one
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is your actual hub and what were you running on it?
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    But what fork/wheel do you actually have, and on what frame? Cube are mainstream manufacturers, though it's possible that someone else has monkeyed around with it if it's secondhand. Can you provide pics of the wheel hub and fork dropouts so we can all feast our eyes?

Also confused by your second post, where you suggest you're looking for a fork to fit this odd-sized hub - why? Surely it would make more sense to get the fork you actually want and then a wheel or hub to suit that?
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    It's not actually 12mm is it?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Willst0ne
    The bike is a cube agree c62. It has 12mm thru hub wheelset front and rear. I'm building up a cx/commuter/do-it-all and want to be able to switch the wheelset between the two. Therefore what I'm after is either some 12mm thru forks (that aren't as expensive as the frame!) OR a fix/shim/bodge that would allow me to run the 12mm thru hubs on 15mm thru forks (of which there seems quite a few). Hope that makes sense and thanks for the help. W
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    From what I've been able to make out, the 12mm through axle uses a sleeve and takes a larger diameter hub, have you measured the hub? At work right now and the restrictive firewall is making checking harder.

15mm isn't much bigger than 12mm, so any sleeves made up for the forks will be a bit thin, but you may be able to get a machine shop to do it for you.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.