- comfy enough to do long rides;
- with removable inner liner;
- up to £40;
- not in hi-vis colours.

What is your recommendations ?

Comments

• eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    these are spot on shorts bit over your budget,but they are pretty hard wearing though

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endu ... -prod40476
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,231
    Eric, I was going to post the excact same ones, I've got three pairs and the clip in liners as well.

Fantastic shorts made here in the UK.

I'll also give a +potato to their customer service, I've lost buckles off them and a nice lady called Ann in their office sent me some down FOC.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Another vote here for Humvees. Great shorts, if a little hot in summer, and they last forever.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Yep defo endura Humvees
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    these are spot on shorts bit over your budget,but they are pretty hard wearing though

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endu ... -prod40476

They look good !
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Another vote here for the humvees.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have a couple pairs of Humvees. They aren't a great fit for me and a bit short. I prefer Endura MT500's
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Humvees, defo. I've had a number of big offs while wearing them, bad enough to leave me battered and broken, and they genuinely still look like new. I've got their Full Monty Gloves as well and they're similarly indestructible.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Ive been using a pair of Endura Single Track since the dawn of time, they are tatty but no holes, all the zips still work. Ive just got a new pair but will still use the old pair. Endura make good shorts.
  • alex100a
    alex100a Posts: 84
    Asked the same question a year or so back, got the same advice and never regretted getting my Humvees.

I do seem to recall sizing was a little issue. According to the size guide I should be medium (34 waist) but following advice I ordered large, which fitted perfectly and certainly would not want anything smaller.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Yeah I had issues with sizing on mine, usually take a large ended up with an XL I take a 35" waist.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Take a look at these from Endura

http://www.primera-sports.com/endura-hu ... horts.html

I use them on my mtb and they're spot on. They last a long time and don't break the bank either
  • Angus Young
    Hey, good choice there Dave. Why didn't anyone else think of them... :)
  • kinioo
    I bought Humvees today.

Cheers
  • Angus Young
    Now you have to crash test 'em!
  • kinioo
    Now you have to crash test 'em!

Yep, its unavoidable...
  • Wag$ter
    Wag$ter Posts: 69
    I've just bought a pair of the humvees today great shorts and super comfy
  • Are something like this a false economy or are they likely to be half decent without paying for "the brand"?

I'm only a hobby rider but getting pissed off with wearing cargo shorts / shitty "sports" shorts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTB-Cycling-S ... Q0X_sWfaNg
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I think those shorts needs more pockets.

To me they look like workmens shorts, I'd pass on them but maybe thats just the snob in me.
  • CoalTheCat
    CoalTheCat Posts: 91
    I have a pair of Endura MT500's that I have used everyday for the last 12 months for commuting, have washed them twice a week and they are holding up very well..
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Not getting the whole "loads of pockets" thing. Stuff goes in your pack, shorts with loads of rubbish in the pockets don't hang properly, ride up your legs when you're climbing, bang around when you're descending.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114
    Not getting the whole "loads of pockets" thing. Stuff goes in your pack, shorts with loads of rubbish in the pockets don't hang properly, ride up your legs when you're climbing, bang around when you're descending.

I kind of agree with this. I don't find it comfortable with stuff in my pockets, but at the same time I'm trying to reduce the time wearing a pack so I'm carrying some bits in pockets.

As for shorts I only have one pair of mtb shorts and thats the pair that came as my subscription gift to MBUK 2 years ago. Still holding up really well but I'm thinking I need to get another pair to take some of the strain, especially now I'm trying to get out 2-3 times more than I used to.
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

I kind of agree with this. I don't find it comfortable with stuff in my pockets, but at the same time I'm trying to reduce the time wearing a pack so I'm carrying some bits in pockets.

As for shorts I only have one pair of mtb shorts and thats the pair that came as my subscription gift to MBUK 2 years ago. Still holding up really well but I'm thinking I need to get another pair to take some of the strain, especially now I'm trying to get out 2-3 times more than I used to.

Much as I hate to say it the roadies have it right so wear a roadie top and just stick the bits you want to take in the pockets on your back then it's perfect.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • chrisdouglas
    chrisdouglas Posts: 114

Much as I hate to say it the roadies have it right so wear a roadie top and just stick the bits you want to take in the pockets on your back then it's perfect.

Yeah my Fox jersey has a couple of zip pockets which is doing the job quite well. I really like the look of the Race Face stash vest and the Alpine Stars Paragon vest. Hydration pack and pockets built into the vest which looks like it'll help with wicking sweat away and the Alpine Stars has the added bonus of a spine protector. Pricey though.
    2013 Kona HeiHei - 29 Life

http://www.lakesrider.weebly.com
  • Briggo wrote:

To me they look like workmens shorts, I'd pass on them but maybe thats just the snob in me.

I think the look is ok, I'm not overly sporty so don't want an overly sporty looking short!

I was kind of after an insight if the quality was tollerable?
  • Interesting discussion on "carrying".

For me I prefer not to ride with a backpack if I can; I've got a micro saddle pack with multitool, levers, repair kit, innertube in which is permanently the bike, my house keys & phone go in it too.

Pockets on shorts are for cash, Chapstick, ID, food... Liquid goes in the bike.

Most of my rides are only 15-20 miles so don't want anyning on my back if I can help it, any longer and I need more liquid so I'll reluctantly take a hydro pack.... Frame on my bike is too small / angled to take a 2nd bottle, even a 400cc one!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Briggo wrote:

I think the look is ok, I'm not overly sporty so don't want an overly sporty looking short!

I was kind of after an insight if the quality was tollerable?

Hit buy and see.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

It's all perfect until you take a flyer and Land on your back. Multitool, pump and a water bottle could really do some damage to your spine.
    I've broken my back, it hurts for years (12 so far for me) after. Don't risk it.