Shimano RS785 hydraulic brake levers adjustment

alarustic
alarustic Posts: 24
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Hi,

I've got a bike with Shimano hydraulic brakes. The levers almost touch the handle bar when braking. I hope that's not normal. I have a pic, please see below.

On a bike with cables I would know how to adjust but with hydraulic I've no idea. Can someone help, please? Worst case scenario I'll have to take it back to the LBS who sold it, which I'd rather not do as they supplied it like this.

Thank you.

leave_her.jpg

Comments

• crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    First of all, check your pads and see if they are needing replaced.

If they are ok then they'll need bled if the levers are pulling back that far. Look on somewhere like Epic Bleed Solutions' website and they have full bleeding kits as well as selling bleed kits.
  • I have the same brakes on my Cube Pro CX bike, and they also get fairly close to the bars when breaking. Unless you have any trapped air in the cable then I dont think there is much adjustment.

Although, check out page 35 in this document - might help.
    http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php? ... 02-ENG.pdf
  • cneifion
    cneifion Posts: 53
    I've got the same brakes on my Rose cross bike. With the brakes full on there is space for my fingers wrapped around the bar, without any contact unless I am wearing really thick gloves.
    Unless it's a big hassle to take it to your LBS, why not take it for them to have a look? If they are half decent in the customer service stakes they should be happy to have a look. As the Shimano doc indicates there is a reach adjustment on the lever. I'm not sure what the default setting is for this but it may be possible that increasing the reach will help, as long as you can still reach the lever comfortably. If the brakes need bleeding and this has been the cause of the problem since you bought the bike, then they shouldn't have sold the bike like this and should now put it right.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    IMO that only looks close due to the di2 paddle
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    That is how they are. Road brake levers are long so if the lever did not get back to the bars there would be little modulation. Shimano know what they are doing get used to them and enjoy.

There are disc brakes with less lever travel trust me they are rubbish. Moutain bikes dknt have this problem because the levers are shorter.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.