Vintage frame identification

deanobob
deanobob Posts: 3
edited September 2016 in Vintage bikes forum
Hi all, I have recently purchased a vintage bicycle frame from a rubbish tip and would like some help identifying the frame model. The style of it makes me think Reynolds but I haven't owned one like this before (I have several 531 / 501 bicycles).

http://imgur.com/a/1a9MG <-- pictures

It has been repainted previously so I'll end up stripping it and repainting, if structurally sound. The only hint of the original colour is the blue at the rear stays if anyone wants to guess who built it?

Comments

• oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Those wrapover seat stays look possibly Carlton? Looks decent quality. Is that a campag high flange hub too? You need to see if there is a serial number on the bottom bracket and work from there, or ask someone on retrobike.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
    The wraparound was to be found also on Holdsworth and Claude Butler... it's going to be a bit of a job to get something out of it, but well done for rescuing it
    left the forum March 2023
  • deanobob
    deanobob Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies - it has given me something to research. I have also submitted this question at retrobike.
  • Frankie
    Frankie Posts: 4,525
    I had one with wrap over exactly like that. Nervex dropouts too. Went on a long search and never found out what it was
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above - unless there are some decals under all those layers of paint, you will probably never find out for certain.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    That wrap over looks like an early Rourke!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • It is truly huge. I think that it is likely to be a built to measure job, rather than off the shelf. It could be a lot of builders, including Bob Jackson. The cable stops and outer cable loop over the bracket would lead me towards maybe late 60s, early 70s, but it could just be a customer preference.
    Please tell me that you are at least 6ft +++ before you invest in refinishing, which will be at least £150+ to do it justice. :wink: