Saturae C50 freehub

stumpmagnet
stumpmagnet Posts: 88
edited May 2016 in Road buying advice
H all my friend has a pair of these wheels and is in need of a new freehub but wiggle who he bought them from, do not deal with these anymore and a search online has drawn a blank! any idea what the freehub is and who might supply one?

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Talk to Mekk directly; it's their house brand. Try Neil Boyle on sales@mekkbicycles.com.
  • thanks have tried them but no response
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I guess it's the price to pay for buying into small unknown of brands that come and go at the same rate one changes his underpants... tell him next time to buy Mavic, Shimano etc... or to get something bespoke built on some well known reliable components. From the pictures, I can't tell the make of the hubs, sorry...
    left the forum March 2023
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    http://www.mekkbicycles.com/Dealers.aspx

Try one of your local dealers and see if they can make contact. I can see your mate (or you) has asked on Facebook. Try a message on there as well.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    This won't be helpful necessarily but I bought a pair then tried contacting Mekk/Saturae to find out about hub servicing, freehub replacement and getting their heat-resistant rim tape, in readiness for when those might be needed. Never got any response whatsoever. Nice wheels, but obviously now wish I'd gone elsewhere (or waited for the Cosines from Wiggle) in order to get better, at least some, aftermarket support.

Please post again if you get more info!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • ugo.santalucia
    Luv2ride wrote:
    (or waited for the Cosines from Wiggle)

... which will probably do exactly the same... next year nobody will know anything about them...
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    They won't have made the hubs themselves. Shouldn't be impossible to work out who did. Post some pics of the freehub and the hub itself.
  • ugo.santalucia
    964Cup wrote:
    They won't have made the hubs themselves. Shouldn't be impossible to work out who did. Post some pics of the freehub and the hub itself.

I had a look at the freehub and hub as such. didn't ring any bell to me... if the poster could dismantle the rear hub and post a photo of the pawls, those could be more revealing...
    BTW, what exactly is wrong with it? Sometimes problems can be fixed without having to use spare parts
  • he forgot to use a 10 speed spacer and the cassette has ate into the drive splines of the body so badly that it was almost gone right through.
    we have an excellant LBS who he has bought some Architype handbuilts from so they have offered to see if they can fine one, total ball ache by the looks of it
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I seem to recall my SRAM 10 speed cassette was a tight fit on the Saturae freehub body, more so than other wheels I have, and that they didn't supply a spacer (which possibly contributed to your friend forgetting to fit one?). In fact that was one of the reasons I attempted to contact them to advise what spacer I needed. Think I used one off some Zondas in the end, and after getting helpful replies off this forum...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • willow15
    willow15 Posts: 4
    I don't think a spacer would of helped, mine has done the same thing with an eleven speed cassette. The problem is they are made from cheese. Tried contacting Mekk/Saturae with no joy, I really hope nothing goes wrong with the Mekk bike that the wheels came with. Lesson learnt though, don't buy a Mekk.

Here is some pics incase someone recognises the the body. I may get the rims laced to a decent hub as the rims seem quite good.

DSC_0182.jpgDSC_0183.jpgDSC_0184.jpgDSC_0185.jpg
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pretty much any other aluminium freehub body will have the same problem to some extent. It's the price you pay for lighter weight, unfortunately.
  • ugo.santalucia
    It looks like a Novatec B type... you can ask the cycle clinic to confirm, but it's 99% identical (the 1% being the different colour, which means nothing)
  • holeaf8
    holeaf8 Posts: 1
    Hi, experiencing the same issue of trying to replace saturae c50 freehub body. Did you ever find a freehub body that fits? Currently looking at a type novatec freehub or potentially Easton r3 freehub? Thanks
  • ugo.santalucia
    B type, not A