If you were buying a new road bike...........

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Would you by one with calliper or hydraulic disc brakes?

Looking to buy a new race bike for next year in the winter and its likely to be my last big purchase for a couple of years so I want to try to future proof my purchase as much as possible so am trying to decide between a bike with calliper or hydraulic disc brakes?

I live and race in Jersey in the Channel Islands and the Jersey Cycling Association has recently passed it that we can race using disc brakes so I am considering buying a new bike with them, however I am still finding myself think why move, is this a fad or is this the way all bikes are going and its just a matter of time before calliper brakes are last years news?

what are the thoughts of you lot, would you buy a disc or calliper spec'd bike if it was your last bike purchase for a while (as in whole bike)?

Thanks
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    In the same position. Decided to wait and buy a new Ultegra groupset for £420, whilst still saving for new bike.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Calliper brakes work fine for me.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    I've just gone to hydraulic disc as I see the additional benefits when you add carbon wheels to the equation.

OK, the weight saving doesn't sound much (500gms) but my new bike spins up more quickly and holds it speed more efficiently but I wanted to avoid paying stupid money for the wheels and not having to suffer the diminished wet weather braking that's associated with carbon wheels so discs seemed the natural choice.

Add the winter miles and the associated wear and tear makes hydraulic discs more attractive with no issues around cables. I wouldn't consider discs as a fad and once you have riders winning tours with discs the take up will be stronger its just how quickly migration to disc occurs rather than if.IMHO.

I bought my bike, last years model, in a sale in late Feb so timing your purchase will bag you a bargain.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    The benefit of carbon wheels with discs is also what finally swayed me to go disc this year.
    My Synapse is nearly done, but disc definitely means hefty in comparison to rim brakes I'm finding
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Calliper for me.
    Having used Hydros on the MTB for years I personally think they're over-kill on a road bike.I have Mechanical discs on the CX bike and I think they're too much.They would probably be better if I had full-on knobblies on the CX but they're just a bit too much as it is.Decent MTB Hydros have adjustment and good modulation but I'm not sure how or if this tranfers over to Road Hydro systems?
    The stopping power of Hydros against Rim-brakes is massive and with slick tyres could cause problems especially in damp/wet conditions.It is easy enough to get into trouble with Calliper brakes in the wet :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited April 2016
    Wife and I have just got new road bikes and both are caliper (DA and DA direct mount though, so very nice quality).

The carbon (or just black rimmed) wheel thing is a big reason to go disc.

The over power argument haters use about hydro discs is nonsense........ if you only have one bike, but it would be a worry for me if swapping between two!

I think road discs will change a lot in the near future, so not sure if you can even future proof.
    Thats just my hunch so don't quiz me on it :wink:
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Do you plan on racing in France / the UK occasionally? That could sway your choice depending on whether they allow discs. I'd not buy an expensive caliper equipped bike right now, but then I'd also avoid expensive disc too as the standards seem to be in too much flux. To be fair the flat mount seems the caliper standard that will survive, but the thru axle / quick release argument seems to have some way to go yet.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I rode the Tarmac Pro disc last night at a specialized event and if was starting from scratch that's the way I would go. I have too much money tied up in wheels at the moment to do it now but I'll definitely be looking at disc the for the next bike.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    The bike I am riding at the moment will be resigned to winter duties so the new bike will be strictly spring/summer/autumn, that said with the weather we are having at the moment there doesn't seem to be much difference between the seasons as they are all bl00dy wet!

That's a good point that the standard seems to be in flux for disc equipped bikes at the moment, its one I hadn't really considered.

I have never had issues with calliper brakes, for the road they are fine although on carbon race wheels the braking isn't as good as on alu rims as we all know, the other thing I suppose I should consider is rotational weight and rim wear of a wheel with a braking surface on the rim v a wheel with a disc in the centre of the wheel, is there much difference in real world terms?

I will be racing in the UK next year I would have thought, it would have been this year but getting married mid season means there is little funds to travel and "fund my hobby" as my OH puts it, next year will hopefully be different. some of the guys from my club race in France as well and I do fancy getting over there and getting my ar5e kicked as invariably that would be what happens.

the other thing is you can get some really good deals on framesets/groupsets etc at the moment and in the sales, the well advertised Pauls Cycles Cannondale sale in Jan/Feb to name one, knocking of the VAT a 'Dale Super Six Evo Hi Mod would come in around £900 inc delivery for me, add to that an Ultegra groupset at around £370, decent race wheels and finishing kit would mean I have a very high end bike for under £3k
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Hydraulic disc.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Hydro for me and if I was racing I would look at the Focus Izalco Max Disc, in fact even not racing I might get it for the summer.

My winter bike is Shimano hydro. 2700 winter miles on the rear pads until worn November to last week still got at least 1000 miles left on the front. Not adjusted them once. No grey muck, no washing my investment in wheels off the bike weekly, watching my lovely wheels deteriorate almost weekly.

When I wash the bike the wheels are as good as new. That's enough reasons for me, without even thinking about modulation, wet braking etc. I get a slight noise out the saddle from the front on the winter bike not a rub as such but definitely due to a bit of fork flex enables the pads to slightly touch the disc a little each rotation.