Bottom Bracket for 2012 Clubman

Ruscogigo
Ruscogigo Posts: 6
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Hi, I need to replace the bottom bracket on my 2012 Raleigh Clubman anniversary addition. I was disappointed that the stock Shimano BB only lasted for around 3 years and probably only around 2000 miles. Any suggestions for a more durable and cost effective replacement? Also does anyone have the measurement? I am struggling to find Specs on Raleigh website?

Many thanks

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Whether it's a Raleigh Clubman is not so relevant, but what crankset is currently fitted?
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    Has the bottom bracket shell in the frame been chased and faced with the proper tools to ensure that the cups sit square to each other and don't get distorted when fitted to the frame. Nearly all frames require this to be done, but very few manufacturers do it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Googling for 2012 raleigh Clubman the UK articles suggest it has a Tiagra chainset, so presumably the matching Shimano HT2 outboard bottom bracket cups?

I'd also assume that the BB shell is standard British threaded.

If you feel they have failed prematurely, as suggested above, it may be worth having the BB shell chased and faced.

I'd then just buy / install another set. They are cheap enough and the job is quick and easy with the appropriate tools. Sora / Tiagra / 105 / Ultegra / Dura Ace are dimensionally all the same*, ie all would support your BB shell / chainset. What you gain by moving up the range is probably weight saving and possibly better sealing. I replaced a 105 BB with Ultegra just because they were the same price, and it has lasted longer than the original, but that could be just dumb luck.

I'd just buy whatever's cheapest.

* the newer generation 11 speed groupsets now have BB cups with a smaller outer diameter so you need a different tool or an adapter to use the old one. They still fit standard threaded BB shells and take the standard 24mm Shimano spindle. From a purely tarty point of view they do look a bit less chunky than the earlier ones...