Which racer

romany
romany Posts: 22
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I am looking into buying my first racer bike and am a bit unsure which one to get. I do have a bike in mind so thought I would ask if anyone could tell me if it would be a good choice. The bike I have in mind is a Cube Agree C62 Pro. I want to buy a decent bike so that if I really get into it I won't have to buy something else to near in the future. I am looking to spend around £2000 max so if someone can think of a better bike for around the same money please tell me. I was looking at the Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 too but think I prefer the Cube. I know it's a very personal thing but just wanted a little bit of advice before I jump in. Also not too sure on what frame size is right for me. I am 5ft 8 and have a 30 inch leg.

Comments

• romany
    Also if I do decide to go for the Cube does anyone know of a shop that might have one in stock. Cheers
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Wow, that's quite a jump into road bikes - a two grand budget! Nowt wrong with that of course, as long as you can afford it, go for it!
    I am the same height and inside leg as you (perhaps give or take a few mm), but have different sizes in different makes. I would say look at something between 51 as a lower limit and 54 as an upper limit. I had a 52 in Scott CR1 which fit really well, but I now have a 54 in a Specialized, which also fits well (in fact the top tube seems shorter on the 54 Spesh).

The cube looks nice - you can also get a disc brake version if you want to go down that route (although it's quite a bit more expensive). The 105 version with discs is a good option (although not in stock at this particular retailer):

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/cube-agr ... 13670.html

Having ridden a road bike with disc brakes for a few months now, I certainly would look to discs (especially hydraulic - and at this price range they usually are), but that's just my personal preference, and you may not need them at all - there are price/weight/maintenance penalties with discs, so you have to weigh up the pros and cons.

The choice of decent bike at this price point is virtually endless, and there will be dozens of recommendations - all of which will be good. All I would say is take your time over the decision - if you plan to get one before the summer kicks-in (optimistic!), then make sure you try anything before you buy. If you are just starting at looking at road bikes, then I would say that after the summer most retailers will start to discount the 2016 models. The closer they are to getting the 2017 models, the more desperate they will be to shift old stock to make way.

I think there might have been an issue with Cube getting stock in at the end of last year/beginning of this year, so you might have to look around. Also it might be good to know where you are based, so that people can advise on the most local option.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I would look at buying a cheap 2nd hand Spesh Allez (or similar). They cost about £300-£400 and hold their value well. Ride it for 6 months and see how you get on. If you are still keen on cycling then spend some cash on decent winter clothes and ride the Allez through the winter (with some Raceblade Longs fitted) and buy something more bling next spring, at least by then you will have a really good idea of what you want. The Allez could be sold for roughly what you paid for it or you could keep it as a winter bike.

I have an 2011 Allez E5, a bike of that level will not hold back any rider/racer save for those at the very top end. The frame cost me £200 and I swapped a Heinz 57 groupset from another bike that had just died.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd not jump in with a 2 grand bike. What if you hate cycling ? What if you fall off getting used to the pedals ?

I'd go for a cheaper bike - it'll work 95% as well as a 2 grand bike and be 99% as fast - but it'll save your money and you can then ponder your dream bike as you ride.

I'd also make sure this bike can take proper full mudguards as then it can be demoted to a winter bike. Full mudguards make your wet winter rides so much more enjoyable. Only a masochist or an idiot rides without guards in the winter.

Don't forget you'll also be dropping hundreds of pounds on kit as well - the bike is just a small part of the outlay.

2 grand is excessive for a taster - and you don't actually know what you want as you're not a cyclist yet. You may hate the gears and want electronic. You may want discs. You may prefer a certain geometry. You may hate that handlebar etc.
  • romany
    I ended up buying a 2015 Cannonade Synapse Carbon Ultegra I hope I have made the right decision. Cheers for the advice guys
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Well you did mull it over for almost 12 hours...
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Fenix wrote:
    Well you did mull it over for almost 12 hours...

Lol. Patience is s virtue. Good choice though. A Synapse is a good option. Nice that it was possible to opt for the Ultegra version. On interest free finance most things are possible.