New bike! New to riding! Do I need a computer?

2»

Comments

• bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    ayjaycee wrote:
    I really don't want to get into an extended debate about it but at the risk of contradicting Carbonator, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the Garmin Edge 500 and it will probably be all the computer you will ever need. Granted, there are more recent models out there like the 25 and 520 that he mentioned but - personally, I just don't like the look of the 25 and the 520 is a bit more wonga (but not a lot more IMHO). That said, it's the 520 is what I will probably get when/if my 500 fails or the more irrational voices in my head tell me that I must buy a new cycle computer. Also, the 500 seems to be getting a bit scarce in the shops nowadays so the 520 might just be the way to go anyway (so long as you are not looking to spend bargain basement money). I have heard hardly anything but good to very good about it - google 'DC Rainmaker 520' for an in-depth review.

I have been computer shopping this week for a replacement/upgrade to my 200 and had a look for a 500 which had always been my planned upgrade and was surprised just how hard to get they are now. The 520 is a lot more.
  • Kwif007
    Kwif007 Posts: 39
    The 500 is available let from wiggle for around 90 quid, it's a refurbished but still has the 12 mths warranty
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Kwif007 wrote:
    The 500 is available let from wiggle for around 90 quid, it's a refurbished but still has the 12 mths warranty
    Bargain!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I had a 500 and it was great in its day, but it is a dinosaur compared to newer models.

Live tracking, auto upload and better satellite lock to name but a few things.
    I would much rather have an Edge 25 than a 500.

"all the computer you will ever need"?
    What a crock of sh1te! lol
  • ayjaycee
    Carbonator wrote:
    I had a 500 and it was great in its day, but it is a dinosaur compared to newer models.

Mine seems to be a view that an awful lot of people would agree with (maybe even more than would disagree) and, frankly, there is no need to resort to that sort of comment about other peoples personal opinions. A very wise man (Elmore Leonard) once wrote 'If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    I've had a couple of 500's and save for some minor niggles like the route disappearing from the screen when there's a turn coming up I've not really wanted anything else. However for an extra £50 if I was buying today I would get the 520 over the 500 today as it is more feature rich although features such live tracking and Strava segments are just fluff and auto upload and better satellite locking are nice to haves rather than essentials.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Mine seems to be a view that an awful lot of people would agree with (maybe even more than would disagree) and, frankly, there is no need to resort to that sort of comment about other peoples personal opinions. A very wise man (Elmore Leonard) once wrote 'If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

I thought you did not want to get into an extended debate lol.

An awful lot of people have lots of things, but it does not make them right.

An awful lot of people will also sing a different tune when it suits them later down the line.
    You only have to look at all the people who slagged off the 1000 yet now own one.

It's plainly bizarre to pick the 500 as a line in the sand.
    Not least because it was the 520 of its day.
    What would you have been recommending if we were back in that day?
    Not the 500 I am guessing :roll:

You can always poo poo new features as just 'fluff' and 'nice to have' if it suits your wallet, but the reality is that a (an awful) lot of people then go on to get them and would not go back to not having them.

If it's about money then get the 25 as its better than the 500 (mine would not be in a box and my 25 not on my bars otherwise).

If it's not about money then get the 520 as it is much, much better than the 500 (see above :wink: )

If you want to go explore, get the 1000 explore.
  • ayjaycee
    Don't call me lol.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I nearly commented a few weeks back that this was the first thread on BikeRadar I'd seen in years where the OP got a quick answer they were happy with, without it getting petty :lol:
  • bflk
    bflk Posts: 240
    Carbonator wrote:
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

I thought you did not want to get into an extended debate lol.

An awful lot of people have lots of things, but it does not make them right.

An awful lot of people will also sing a different tune when it suits them later down the line.
    You only have to look at all the people who slagged off the 1000 yet now own one.

It's plainly bizarre to pick the 500 as a line in the sand.
    Not least because it was the 520 of its day.
    What would you have been recommending if we were back in that day?
    Not the 500 I am guessing :roll:

You can always poo poo new features as just 'fluff' and 'nice to have' if it suits your wallet, but the reality is that a (an awful) lot of people then go on to get them and would not go back to not having them.

If it's about money then get the 25 as its better than the 500 (mine would not be in a box and my 25 not on my bars otherwise).

If it's not about money then get the 520 as it is much, much better than the 500 (see above :wink: )

If you want to go explore, get the 1000 explore.

Thanks for highlighting the 25 which I hadn't looked at. For me the price gap from 500 to 520 was huge given my financial situation.
  • Is this bluetooth gadget is worth considering for £20 from Monday 2nd May?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... 3141&ar=12

I don't feel I need a speedometer, but I'm curious to see how slow I will be on my Wazoo. :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Until you get used to a road bike, a cadence sensor is a nice thing to have. It's good to have a little feedback whilst developing the "correct" cadence. 20 quid is very reasonable.

As to the broader question, a decent computer is a very handy thing to have to monitor your training. It'll let you know where your weaknesses and strengths lie. Don't overlook heart rate as a useful measure of effort. I know that power meters are inherently superior for the job, but a HRM is definitely useful for training, on road or off. It's very easy to underestimate your effort when going by feel in good conditions. Anything that can tell you how hard you're working, and, more crucially, how long you can expect to sustain said work is a good thing. Just don't get blinded by stats.
  • FatButSlow
    FatButSlow Posts: 1
    I used iPhone 6S+ with Strava. Phone mounted on bars with Quadlock works perfect. No battery issues, regularly rode for over 3 hours with everything on, BT, WiFi, etc. screen turns off no problems with battery life if you have newer phone. Now I use RFLKT+ and still have phone mounted on bars. Great system battery life is amazing (75 mile ride didn't even use 10%) and you can customize menus.

I recently wrecked pretty badly, phone was fine with Quadlock mount, there was no damage to the phone