Clicking from front end - headset problem?

Shav
Shav Posts: 10
edited April 2016 in Workshop
I have a 2 year old Supersix Evo. I changed the bars and stem from alloy to FSA Carbon a while back and they've been fine. Recently when I'm out the saddle and pulling on the bars, there is a clicking noise coming from the front end - no sound when I'm in the saddle.

I've made sure the stem bolts are tightened according to the recommended Torque and the expander in the steerer tube / top cap. Still making a noise.

Any ideas? Could it be the headset bearings?

Comments

• redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Hold the front brake and rock the bike back and forth, see if there is any play in the headset.

Seeing as you have changed the stem and bars I would suspect the noise is coming from this area though.
    Undo all the bolts, perhaps dab some copperslip on them before tightening. And make sure they are correctly torqued.

Also check the cables as the change of bars could have moved the position of these and they can cause lots of clicking noises.

One final thing to check is the wheel. I had a bloody annoying clicking noise which I was convinced was the BB or headset and it turned out to be the spokes.
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    remove stem bolts (all of them but in particular the ones clamping the bars) and grease the threads. Do the same for the headset bolt. Remove headset bearings and grease the faces of the bearings with a good durable grease. If you have on of the lightweight cannondale caps then remove and grease the threads that mate with the part in the steerer and also a thin film of grease where it screws down and meets the stem.

If it remains then it may be a crack (hopefully not) or more likely the sound is coming from the BB but the sound is travelling through the frame.

...actually BEFORE all of the above remove the skewers grease the threads and reclamp nice and firm. maybe even try different skewers if you have any spare - it's a very likely / common source of noise at the front.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,034
    I would start with the expander in the steerer - check it's not pulled up slightly. I had a focus that had this problem and it needed readjusting every few months - the symptom was quite a loud click or almost a cracking noise. I'm not familiar with Cannondale though.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Shav
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. I did check previously by holding the front brake and there is no play in the headset. The bars and stem have been on for a while and haven't made any noises until recently, sorry if that wasn't clear.

I will do the other things you've suggested at the weekend and see.
  • Grease your front quick release skewer.
  • worn bearings in your front hub? any side-to-side play in the wheel? ... effect will be exaggerated when out of the saddle.
  • Shav
    The wheels are brand new, only been out on them five times so far. Definitely going to grease the skewer before I go out next as suggested a few times above.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Shav wrote:
    The wheels are brand new, only been out on them five times so far. Definitely going to grease the skewer before I go out next as suggested a few times above.

Did the noise start after you put the new wheels on? Or was it there before?
  • Shav
    Think it was after. Because it only happens when I'm out of the saddle and really sounds like it's coming from the bars / stem area, I hadn't considered the wheel. But I've heard of sounds travelling in a carbon bike.
    Will grease the front skewer and make sure it's tight.
  • Shav
    Quick update on this for anyone who's interested. I greased the QR and front skewer but the noise was still there.
    I then took the stem off, made sure the bottom of the expander sat at 5cm into the steerer as described in the bikes owners manual, torqued it back up, greased all the bolts on the stem, and so far the noise has gone away.
    Not sure how far the expander was into the steerer before but it's definitely closer to the top now, so was too far down.
    Could be this or the grease, but either way it seems to be solved.
  • Shav
    Actually I have one more question. When I had the stem off, I found what looked like a star nut a fair way down the steerer tube.

Picture here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A ... hoto%2cjpg

Is this supposed to be there? I've read that star nuts and carbon steerer tubes are not a good combination.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Shav wrote:
    Actually I have one more question. When I had the stem off, I found what looked like a star nut a fair way down the steerer tube.

Picture here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A ... hoto%2cjpg

Is this supposed to be there? I've read that star nuts and carbon steerer tubes are not a good combination.

Go to the manufacturer for advice on this one.
  • gusm41
    gusm41 Posts: 92
    Looks like part of the expander.