Shimano shifters/gears

Allyg
Allyg Posts: 6
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Hi everyone, so I'm old and my bikes old, now that's out of the way! I have a 90's carbon monocoque frame which I love to bits. I currently have a Shimano Ultegra 9 speed triple groupset on it. I want some shifters with integrated cables which my current set up doesn't have. On looking round various forums etc it seems that opinions are varied on whether more modern shifters such as the 105's will work,some people say it will work and some people say it wont. It seems a lot of people are just guessing as to one way or another. If possible has anyone actually done this and can give me a definitive answer. Yes I know the more modern stuff is for 10 speeds but is it still compatible with older 9 speed gear or am I just gonna have to suck it up and buy a new 10 speed set up. If I do,I'm assuming that the newer Shimano stuff such as bottom bracket etc will fit my older frame! Hope someone can help,thanks.

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Yes, any 10 speed Shimano shifters will work with your setup and the last generation of 10 sp has the under-the-bar-tape, "integrated" brake and shift cables. 11sp won't work. Of course you'll need a 10sp cassette but everything else will work including your 9sp crankset. Oh and your 9sp brakes have a slightly different pull ratio than the 105/5700 and Ultegra/6700 but many people who run this combo seem to be fine with it.
  • Allyg
    Yes, any 10 speed Shimano shifters will work with your setup and the last generation of 10 sp has the under-the-bar-tape, "integrated" brake and shift cables. 11sp won't work. Of course you'll need a 10sp cassette but everything else will work including your 9sp crankset. Oh and your 9sp brakes have a slightly different pull ratio than the 105/5700 and Ultegra/6700 but many people who run this combo seem to be fine with it.

Thats great info,thanks for your help!
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Forgot to mention you'll need a 10sp chain as well.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Important question; are you wanting to keep your triple chainset to go with your concealed cables? If so you'd need the corresponding 10 speed triple shifters, eg 105 5703, Ultegra 6703, and the aforementioned 10 speed chain and cassette.

(I'm getting on a bit now, and love my 5603 triple...Hasn't got concealed cables though)

Alternatively the new Tiagra 10 speed triple also has under bar tape routing, but the pull ratios are different so you'd also need the matching front and rear mechs, along with the 10 speed cassette and chain. The entire groupset will likely be nearly as cheap as buying the separate components; I'm guessing at £250 ish. You can sell on the bits you don't use.

Or bite the bullet and go 11 speed with a 105 groupset for £300 or Ultegra for £400 ish? You'd have a double chainset though. But very slick shifting. A 90s frame will almost certainly have a British or Italian threaded BB shell, so the appropriate Shimano BB cups can be fitted.
  • Allyg
    I want to keep the triple set up as my plan is, despite my age, to do the Alpe D'Huez triathlon next year so I'll needs lots and lots of granny gears! ( I've done 4 Ironman races)
    Thanks for the info though, I'm gonna have to sit down and work things out cost wise and decide whats best.