Need expert advice.

notnotraj
notnotraj Posts: 8
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi, my name is Raj and I am from India. I've been amateur cycling since 2013. I have decided to attempt the Golden Quadrilateral route (3,633 miles, 5,846 kms) in India in 20 days on a road bike. Any training advice is appreciated. I am running, skipping ropes and dong thigh exercises everyday.

Mainly I need expert advice on what bike to do it on. My budget is under $1,000 (around 65,000 Indian Rupees). I am 5'8 with 32 inches inseam.

Thank you.

Comments

• ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    My advice is give up now, thats 180miles a day, and I assume the quality of the roads in india isn't great either....
  • ravey1981 wrote:
    My advice is give up now, thats 180miles a day, and I assume the quality of the roads in india isn't great either....

Its a highway that connects all of India's big major cities. Good road. I never said I am going to complete it, I said I am attempting it and I am not giving up. Appreciate the concern and advice. Thanks.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I would contact someone like Divya Tate at AIR - http://www.audaxindia.org/ and take their advice.

Good luck and don't listen to stuff like
    ravey1981 wrote:
    My advice is give up now, thats 180miles a day
    as no-one will ever get very far with that attitude. It's a big ask of course, but go for it!
  • marcusjb wrote:
    I would contact someone like Divya Tate at AIR - http://www.audaxindia.org/ and take their advice.

Good luck and don't listen to stuff like
    ravey1981 wrote:
    My advice is give up now, thats 180miles a day
    as no-one will ever get very far with that attitude. It's a big ask of course, but go for it!

Will do. Thank you.
  • The thread is open and any more advices are welcome.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    You're probably better off spending more time on the bike and less time running and skipping.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    If you google it there is an article on a New Zealander completing it in 24 days so knocking 4 days off will be some going. I can't really offer advice on training other than it should be done on the bike and anything done in addition should be stretching and strengthening to help avoid injury rather than increase performance.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    +1 on the cycling miles.

Research the kind of tyres you need too - getting flats will slow you and tire you mentally.
  • If you google it there is an article on a New Zealander completing it in 24 days so knocking 4 days off will be some going. I can't really offer advice on training other than it should be done on the bike and anything done in addition should be stretching and strengthening to help avoid injury rather than increase performance.

Yeah, his name is Tim Chittock. I know its not going to be easy, I very well may not be able to do it at all but I am going for it anyway. I am just doing some research on what bike to get. So far, I liked the Cannondale CAAD8 Sora 7 but I don't want to rush into buying it.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    That's bloody bloody hard. That said Steven Abraham was doing 220mile days when he was doing his year long challenge so it's by no mean impossible.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    The simplest piece of advice is to simply cycle as often as possible and for as long as possible. Your first goal will be to be able to cycle at least 280km in one day. Then you need to train to be able to cycle that distance every second day for a week and so on till you are in a position to cycle that distance for at least 10 consecutive days before attempting to complete the challenge.

Its a huge challenge and not one I would attempt without a serious training regime over at least 6 months (The longest I have done so far is 450 miles over 5 days)

Also, you need to remember that as well as buying a bike you need suitable clothing (inc spare clothing unless you plan washing and drying one set of jersey/shorts/socks etc at the end of each day after having cycled 280km) shoes, maintenance/repair tools, spare tyres and tubes etc You probably have some clothing already but if its well worn, it may be worth considering buying new quality shorts etc for endurance rides.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Get a bike that you can use tribars on.

TBH it's much more about the rider than it is the bike.
  • MugenSi wrote:
    The simplest piece of advice is to simply cycle as often as possible and for as long as possible. Your first goal will be to be able to cycle at least 280km in one day. Then you need to train to be able to cycle that distance every second day for a week and so on till you are in a position to cycle that distance for at least 10 consecutive days before attempting to complete the challenge.

Its a huge challenge and not one I would attempt without a serious training regime over at least 6 months (The longest I have done so far is 450 miles over 5 days)

Also, you need to remember that as well as buying a bike you need suitable clothing (inc spare clothing unless you plan washing and drying one set of jersey/shorts/socks etc at the end of each day after having cycled 280km) shoes, maintenance/repair tools, spare tyres and tubes etc You probably have some clothing already but if its well worn, it may be worth considering buying new quality shorts etc for endurance rides.

That's exactly how I plan to train. I plan to do it in December or January in winters so I have plenty of time to train hard. I am trying to overestimate this whole thing and be afraid of it so I train harder. About the clothing, I haven't figured it out yet but I assume I will be too tired to wash and dry them everyday at the end of the day. I'll figure it out.
  • Fenix wrote:
    Get a bike that you can use tribars on.

TBH it's much more about the rider than it is the bike.

I agree. But I am just trying to get the most out of the money I am spending.