Which e-Bike - Haibike vs Scott

Monoblock
Monoblock Posts: 3
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
Ok, first post here but likely not my last.

After de-mothballing an antique of a GT (XCR3000) I've found a few things - aside from getting it back on the road (tyres, tubes, bit of freeing up, lubrication and grease) most of the gear parts are well on their way, it's now very old tech (15 years old) and heavy for a full suspension bike with no E-Drive but after 30 miles of trail plus canal tow path with some friends my biggest issue with it and cycling is my knackered knee (patella tracking), it went after about 25 miles and the ride was painful, up hills I had to walk it up at the end whilst using it as a crutch and a week and a half on its still painful so traditional cycling is going to be tough and likely stupid on my part.

But I'm not one to give up, I've got the bug back that saw me put a hell of a lot of miles on my old GT (I do love that bike and will be gutted to see it go after all this time) and I've got some vouchers through work I can use on Amazon and a supplier that can sell through there so I'm now looking at an e-bike l. I will use it motor off and very low as I want to get back to my old fitness levels but when the knee goes I get some support (I'm only 34, not too unfit and looking to be able to bike rather than give in), I.e. I can take the pressure off on a steep hill.

My initial though was a Haibike Fullseven pro, it's available for £3600, includes the Bosch Nylon system that I love and has full lock out on the suspension which is a dream after many years yoyo'ing on a GT when I try to accelerate on flat straits, I use it on road as well as off.

The issue is I can only get a 50cm, I'm 5'7" and that's too big.

So I have 2 bikes offered that seem to make sense

1) Scott E-Genius 710, has the suspension lock out, can upgrade to nylon, would have preferred slightly higher end gear equipment but it's the top of the line - suspension controlled from the gender bars, I have a mate with a Scott who is raving about it - he's a lazy sod so he loves the leg power all getting to the rear wheel. Also has the big 3.0 tyres which should be great for grip in the woods and up mud hills, appreciate drag on the road though.

2) 2015 Haibike full mountain pro, ticks every box in regards to weight, drive system, components (lovely wheels and gear set up) - tyres arn't that wide for a modern MTB which seems strange and it does not have lock out, just trail mode (anyone got any experience of this)

So, an ex halfords cycle mechanic of 15 years ago who's knowledge is years out of date has some treat money and keeps a bike for the long term would love your input, where would you go with about £4500.

Riding is a mix, some local road, to and from town (7/8 miles return) canel tow paths, say 30/40 mile stints, off road through local woods in the chilterns and alongside the M40 so decent gradients, tree roots, drops etc and every now and again dedicated MTB courses in the local area, plus the odd new Forrest ride.

Comments

• E-bikes are treated with some disdain around here to be honest. 'If you're not doing all the work you're doing none of it' etc.

So my honest advice would be to try and find an e-bike specific page.. Probably a much better source of advice as I don't see many here even admit to owning a battery powered ride.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    30 miles on an old heavy bike after years off seems a bit silly. It would hurt anyone.

Maybe get a cheap light bike and start slowly - build up. 34 is still a baby.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • necromunger
    necromunger Posts: 105
    if you think you can get on 1 of these and not have to put any effort in you a wrong yes you will fly up the hills but at 15mph the motor will cut out and then you are on your own with a 20kg plus bike.

so then if you fit a dongle that lifts the speed limit you will still have to put in a lot of effort to go even faster as the motor has a tourq meter so the faster you go the less it will help you at faster speeds.

it will also half the range of the battery the faster you go @ 50mph if you could peddle that fast it will be flat in less than 8 miles.

or if you have a dh pro its a problem going up hills pmsl its just to heavy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDmgOkm4RlE
  • Thanks for the input all.

My knee got injured in rugby many years back and when I entered a house fire by (foolishly) kicking the front door in and breaking my foot in the process that was it for my knee, started collapsing when I walked.
    I've worked with the old London wasps ostyo who in his words, can only release the pressure, he can't correct it, 2 MRI's have basically confirmed its done and will be replaced in years to come.
    I can run on soft ground but not regularly, so it took a lot of work to complete a born survivor course (tough mudder but in the lakes), Ostyo (private) and doctor (NHS) both don't want me running so it's cross trainers - bikes move the knee out of position so they advised against it but I'm stubborn so the theory I hope to prove is, ebike off for normal riding but on for step hill, not to allow me to shoot up them but to ease the effort I put my right knee under - I over trained / unevenly trained my quads when I was younger the result is my lower legs pull out slightly and my knee runs to the left of my leg not down the centre as it should and cycling puts an uneven load on it and exacerbates the issue so I need to manage the loading, I'm in the market for a bike anyway and will want to get back to trail riding so I'm happy to take the "cheating" abuse as putting 50% of the work in uphill is better than giving in and putting in nothing, my dog keeps me honest and I clock up the miles on foot with her, this is about finding a way back to something I'm limited in doing and on speaking to a few ppl with e-bikes that have knee issues they have fed back positive comments so my thoughts are a few hours a week on an ebike for fun is better than the same time on my sofa or in my car.

Anyhow, appreciate this is not the forum for it...I reckon that may change in a few years but for now I'll not try to argue the merits of something I don't know much about (now cars I can argue about) and thank everyone for their input.

Cheers all
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A chap in our club has just got a Cube e-bike, at 64 and with a genetic heart defect he needs to exercise (his father and brother both died of the same condition in their mid 50's and his doctor is convinced that his exercise from cycling is the only thing that's kept him alive longer), he mostly uses the electric boost uphills when he struggled to keep up before and then pedals on the flat and downs.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Stereo-Hyb ... _84637.htm
    Cube also do some Hardtails that will be a bit lighter/cheaper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    if you think you can get on 1 of these and not have to put any effort in you a wrong yes you will fly up the hills but at 15mph the motor will cut out and then you are on your own with a 20kg plus bike.

so then if you fit a dongle that lifts the speed limit you will still have to put in a lot of effort to go even faster as the motor has a tourq meter so the faster you go the less it will help you at faster speeds.

it will also half the range of the battery the faster you go @ 50mph if you could peddle that fast it will be flat in less than 8 miles.

or if you have a dh pro its a problem going up hills pmsl its just to heavy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDmgOkm4RlE

By the sound of it you've never ridden an e-bike and the above is an opinion rather than based on experience. An e-bike will do exactly what the OP wants, take much of the strain out of climbing and, hence, off his knee. While they're definitely not for me they'll be just the job for someone for whom an impairment would otherwise keep them off a bike. And, in their own way, they're actually quite fun when you pelt absurdly uphill.

I've only ridden one Haibike so can't really comment on the OP's original question, other than to say...
    Monoblock wrote:
    and it does not have lock out, just trail mode (anyone got any experience of this)

Things have come a long way in 15 years so bob is unlikely to be as much of an issue as you remember it.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    By the sound of it you've never ridden an e-bike and the above is an opinion rather than based on experience.

You might be wrong.
    you still can put effort in just then you will be going 35mph on the flat, not even a full carbon race bike can keep up with mine anyway.

and the more effort you put in the more miles you will get from the battery.

DSC_0226_1.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    cooldad wrote:
    You might be wrong.

:) Then his experience of an e-bike is very different to mine. Yes, sure, you still have to pedal. But it's a breeze compared to the effort you have to put in on a regular bike and it certainly takes the strain off the knees.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • pigglet
    pigglet Posts: 68
    Monoblock wrote:
    Thanks for the input all.

My knee got injured in rugby many years back and when I entered a house fire by (foolishly) kicking the front door in and breaking my foot in the process that was it for my knee, started collapsing when I walked.
    I've worked with the old London wasps ostyo who in his words, can only release the pressure, he can't correct it, 2 MRI's have basically confirmed its done and will be replaced in years to come.
    I can run on soft ground but not regularly, so it took a lot of work to complete a born survivor course (tough mudder but in the lakes), Ostyo (private) and doctor (NHS) both don't want me running so it's cross trainers - bikes move the knee out of position so they advised against it but I'm stubborn so the theory I hope to prove is, ebike off for normal riding but on for step hill, not to allow me to shoot up them but to ease the effort I put my right knee under - I over trained / unevenly trained my quads when I was younger the result is my lower legs pull out slightly and my knee runs to the left of my leg not down the centre as it should and cycling puts an uneven load on it and exacerbates the issue so I need to manage the loading, I'm in the market for a bike anyway and will want to get back to trail riding so I'm happy to take the "cheating" abuse as putting 50% of the work in uphill is better than giving in and putting in nothing, my dog keeps me honest and I clock up the miles on foot with her, this is about finding a way back to something I'm limited in doing and on speaking to a few ppl with e-bikes that have knee issues they have fed back positive comments so my thoughts are a few hours a week on an ebike for fun is better than the same time on my sofa or in my car.

Anyhow, appreciate this is not the forum for it...I reckon that may change in a few years but for now I'll not try to argue the merits of something I don't know much about (now cars I can argue about) and thank everyone for their input.

Cheers all

Sent you PM which may be of interest!