Caad12 vs 2015 evo vs 2016 evo

armoured
armoured Posts: 5
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi Everyone,

New user here looking for some advice. Test drove both the CAAD12 and 2015 EVO 105. CAAD12 would be $1550 USD and the Evo would cost $1800 USD. I immediately fell in love with the CAAD12. Something about it, just a stunning machine. The Evo on the other hand - is a great price.

What are your thoughts? I know they are inherently different, one being carbon and the other aluminum. It would be my first road bike, coming from a hybrid. I was advised to go with the Evo, but there comes a new predicament.

What if I went with a 2016 Evo Tiagra? It would be $1700 USD and based on what i’ve read, the new 2016 Tiagra groupset isn’t too bad along with a new re-design of the bike. Almost 105-like and for someone like me, i might not notice a difference for at least 2-3 season riding.

If given the choice, what would you guys pick? CAAD12, 2015 Evo 105, 2016 Evo Tiagra?

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    You loved the Caad12. Get the Caad12
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If it bothers you the new Tiagra is still only 10-speed while you will have the benefit of an extra gear with 105 on the CAAD12.

CAAD12 105 has just won Cycling Plus magazine "Bike of the Year" against 54 other bikes ranging from £750 - £9750

You rode the CAAD 12 and loved it - so don't over think things. I'm guessing with the quality of the CAAD12 frame it could be a keeper for upgrading the components at some point in the future
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    CAAD 12 if you loved it.

I would rule out 10 speed personally if you are able to get 11.

Is it the ride of the CAAD you like, The looks, or the fact its 2016 v last years EVO?
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    What if I went with a 2016 Evo Tiagra? It would be $1700 USD and based on what i’ve read, the new 2016 Tiagra groupset isn’t too bad along with a new re-design of the bike.

The 2016 Evo Tiagra uses the 2015 frame. Only the 2016 Hi Mod models have the newly designed frame.
  • armoured
    Any thoughts on the 2016 Tiagra? I know the CAAD12 uses some design influences from the 2016 Evo, so that's why I'm thinking a 2016 Evo Tiagra might be a good alternative if I didn't want an aluminum frame.

I loved the CAAD12.....but I felt a difference vs the 2015 Evo's carbon frame. It was just a better ride. For shear "blow my mind/face/fun factor" - it goes to the CAAD12. Thinking for the long term, on long rides, 50+ miles, it might be better for me to go with carbon.
  • armoured
    trailflow wrote:
    What if I went with a 2016 Evo Tiagra? It would be $1700 USD and based on what i’ve read, the new 2016 Tiagra groupset isn’t too bad along with a new re-design of the bike.

The 2016 Evo Tiagra uses the 2015 frame. Only the 2016 Hi Mod models have the newly designed frame.

Oh wow......that changes everything then. I did NOT know that. Looked on Cannondale's site and you are 100% correct sir.

So now it's back down to CAAD12 vs 2015 Evo......going to test drive them again today and I will have made the decision when I come back. Will keep you guys updated!
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    You may get better tyre clearance on the caad so it can be made more compliant by fitting wider rims/tyres if required. Is the Caad the disc version?
  • armoured
    It's done. I went with a 2015 Evo 105.

Tested both the CAAD12 and Evo back to back, to back to back. At the end of the day, the Evo just felt that much better overall. The CAAD12 felt a little faster, but the Evo was just as fast, but also more refined. At the end of the day had a discount of $1780 on the Evo so I felt like it was a good purchase.

Thanks for all the advise guys, especially on the 2016 Evo.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    $3,580 for a 105 Evo? I know you only paid half that but still, that's a steep price for a 105 bike ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.