53 - 36?

mr_poll
mr_poll Posts: 1,547
edited April 2016 in Workshop
I currently have a rotor chainset, not oval/q, running a 53 - 39, which is fine for the riding I do over here (I have a 32 cassette if I am doing anything particularly hilly). However I am going over to the Italian Alps soon and think it would be good to have an easier range for some of the longer climbs. I could get a new chainset or replace the chain rings with a compact or a 52-36, however the chainset is in good nick and forking out £150+ to do this is something I would prefer to avoid.

Essentially would I be able to replace the inner 39T chainring for a 36T? Would this cause any issues with changing up/down with my front mech (I run Ultegra everywhere else)?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    What's the BCD? The distance between the bolts... if it's a traditional 130 mm, then you can't, if it's a 110 then you can
    left the forum March 2023
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    mr_poll wrote:
    CUT
    Essentially would I be able to replace the inner 39T chainring for a 36T?

Nope
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    If the crankset spider is 130 BCD then the 36T inner will not fit and its a definite no can do.

if its a 110 bcd then yes you could though not entirely sure how great the shifting will be - its quite a jump for the chain. Rather than doing 53/36 you may as well go 52/36.
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    You can get a 130BCD 38T ring but that is the smallest you can go as far as I know. If you want to go smaller than 38T then you need to change the chainset.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Hi - it is a 130 - so looks like I need to fork out or get stronger and fitter, thanks for the advice though
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My TT bike has a 53 36 on it, this is fine as I very rarely need to go into the lower ring on a tt bike. I only have it this way as it came with a compact and was easier to just put a 53 ring on the groupset.

Only issue I can find is the gap is very likely to cause the chain to drop off as has happened to me a few times. apart from that it will work fine so long as its a 110 BCD of course
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Now is your time to get yourself a prettier crankset ( fugly Rotors) .. traditional compact of course...;-) I think some posters replying have forgotten you are going to the flippin Alps.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    JGSI wrote:
    I think some posters replying have forgotten you are going to the flippin Alps.

How so? I think everyones answer seems to be pretty fair. semi compacts are still good for steep climbs. I dont see anyone offering he goes 130 bcd say and forgets 36 tooth etc