Please help with deciding on a new bike

vpnikolov
vpnikolov Posts: 568
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello dear Bikeradar forum members,

I am looking into buying a bike for my weekend rides and keep the old one as a winter/commuter (Specialized Allez 2014).

As I am struggling with making a decision, I hope you guys would be able to guide me in the right direction.

My budget is max £2000 to spend on the bike.

In terms of specs:

1. Still on the fence about disc/caliper brakes. Advice on that would be greatly appreciated as it would determine the bike to be bought.

2. As 105 is more than sufficient, not looking into Ultegra.

3. Big debate: Carbon vs Alloy. I know there are some good alloy bikes out there in that price range, as well as carbon ones. Same as for the brakes, any advice greatly appreciated!

4. Comfort will be a factor definitely to be considered, but I guess that everything I am looking at will be an upgrade when comparing to the £500 Allez.

I have my eyes on the following bikes: CAAD12 105 5, SLR02 105 and Synapse 105 5.

Probably the biggest question I am asking myself at the moment is: which one and with what spec (disc vs caliper and alloy vs carbon) is the best value for money?

I hope you will be able to help me crack this one!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Which one is red? Buy that one, it will be the fastest.

Joking aside, they are all good. Discs/rims? Well, you could start a thread on that alone which would run to 40 pages and have no clear conclusion. Carbon/Alloy? A good bike is a good bike. Any recommendations will come down to personal choice so go with the one personal choice that matters, yours.

Oh, I have a 2011 E5 Allez, there's not a lot wrong with an Allez...it certainly will not be holding you back performance wise, trust me. If you want more comfort then get some decent wide profile rims/wheels and run some good 25mm tyres at the right pressure (Schwalbe Ones, for example, at 80/90 PSI of you are around 65kg like me).
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    This?

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV239406

Then give the 1p to charity.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    The CAAD 12 105 has just won the Cycling Plus "Bike of the Year" up against 54 other bikes ranging from £750 to north of £9000

I know it usual to treat these magazine shoot-outs with some scepticism but I don't thing you'd go too far wrong with the Cannondale
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRRULT/ ... -road-bike

gives you Ultegra for your price.

This one gives you Di2 for your price - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT90UL ... -road-bike

I'm not really helping am i ?
  • vpnikolov
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Which one is red? Buy that one, it will be the fastest.

Joking aside, they are all good. Discs/rims? Well, you could start a thread on that alone which would run to 40 pages and have no clear conclusion. Carbon/Alloy? A good bike is a good bike. Any recommendations will come down to personal choice so go with the one personal choice that matters, yours.

Oh, I have a 2011 E5 Allez, there's not a lot wrong with an Allez...it certainly will not be holding you back performance wise, trust me. If you want more comfort then get some decent wide profile rims/wheels and run some good 25mm tyres at the right pressure (Schwalbe Ones, for example, at 80/90 PSI of you are around 65kg like me).

Funnily enough I am looking for red bikes mainly. :)

My concern with a carbon frame is falling and destroying it, so that is why I am considering an alloy one. I am not completely sure how reasonable that concern is, but I don't really want to spend money on a new frame if I manage to break it.

The Allez has the A1 frame, not really that good as it is their basic one (no Smartweld). It is currently running on Fulcrum 5s with Pro4 Endurance v2 (I am 97kg, 198 cm tall). A huge improvement over the standard wheels and tyres it comes with and is a really comfy ride now, but still on the heavy side - 10.15 kg.

I guess that I just need to book a few test rides of the bikes and decide for myself which one I like the most.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    CAAD 12 105 Disc then with some handbuilt wheels, something like Archtype H+ Son with decent hubs, 36/32 built up with DT Swiss spokes. Job done.
  • vpnikolov
    Slight change of plans... As CAAD12 and SLR02 do not have a frame larger than 60cm, I am forced to include SuperSix Evo as a potential choice (63cm frame).

Would still try out the 60cm ones with the hope they fit.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    vpnikolov wrote:
    Slight change of plans... As CAAD12 and SLR02 do not have a frame larger than 60cm, I am forced to include SuperSix Evo as a potential choice (63cm frame).

Would still try out the 60cm ones with the hope they fit.
    Not strictly true.

I recently bought a CAAD12 and I wanted ultegra, rim brake and black. Unfortunately, this combination is not available in the UK - so I bought one from Germany and they shipped it - if you are preapred to risk it. I did have to take it to my local shop and have them switch the brakes round, since the Germans have the front brake on the left and the rear brake on the right...

You can get 63cm CAAD 12's in Germany, e.g 105 disc.
    https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8; ... 57;page=13
    Or if you want rim brake and red - then Ultegra
    http://www.thebikeshop.de/epages/623034 ... /CAY6C123R
  • vpnikolov
    Did not actually think of looking at international websites as I am using a cycle-to-work voucher. I will visit the local Evans and see what they can do about supplying 63cm frames.

I'd imagine it would be just a case of making a special order (or I might be wrong, who knows!). Worth checking.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    They should be able to get a 63cm, some places in the UK do show some availability in 63cm, e.g.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-CAAD ... _83151.htm
    And Evans display the 63cm in the sizing chart.