Bone Conduction Headphones

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited November 2016 in Commuting chat
Thinking of getting some of these for my commute.

Now I like listening to the radio. I don't want to use masses of data so would use the FM transmitter on my phone.

As far as I am aware I will have to plug headphones in to act as an aerial...but then will that stop the Bluetooth connecting?

Is there any way around this other than getting a phone contract with shed loads of data which I don't really want to do?

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I've used BT speakers with a headphone plugged in before as an antenna before.
    As far as I'm aware, most android phones running Kitkat 4.4 and above allow you to choose where your audio goes out to, sometimes as a setting within the radio app, but I've had to bypass it using the "sound settings" options of the device before.

If your apple based, I'm assuming the same function exists.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • essex-commuter
    I'm on version 6, can't see any option to divert sound unfortunately.
  • wolfsbane2k

Might be in the radio app itself. My old Motorola had an option as part of the app to "play to speaker", which then was overridden within the Android Settings for "play audio to bluetooth". Was a bit of a nausea to find it, but eventually managed.

You might have to try a different radio app - what's the phone?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • essex-commuter

Might be in the radio app itself. My old Motorola had an option as part of the app to "play to speaker", which then was overridden within the Android Settings for "play audio to bluetooth". Was a bit of a nausea to find it, but eventually managed.

You might have to try a different radio app - what's the phone?

It's a 3 month old Motorola X Play. Radio is played via the FM Radio App.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Hmm, that'll be annoying if they have back tracked from 2014!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/29 ... -controls/

Edit: Play store Link:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 3Dbloglink

Quoting the Play Store
    . This includes the Moto G and E (all generations). You may play thru wired headset, bluetooth headset or loudspeaker, and for the best performance you should connect a wired headset or Digital TV dongle to act as the FM antenna.

but "Hit the Chromecast button"...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    You can get wired bone conduction headphones, they're quite a bit cheaper too. As long as you were planning on buying branded ones rather than ebay specials.

I've gone with the one earbud method for now. Bone conduction may follow in the future/summer. Wouldn't work with my ear warmers though
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • essex-commuter
    Hmm, that'll be annoying if they have back tracked from 2014!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/29 ... -controls/

Edit: Play store Link:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 3Dbloglink

Quoting the Play Store
    . This includes the Moto G and E (all generations). You may play thru wired headset, bluetooth headset or loudspeaker, and for the best performance you should connect a wired headset or Digital TV dongle to act as the FM antenna.

but "Hit the Chromecast button"...

Yes, that's the app. I can't see any option to send the music somewhere else, or perhaps that only appears when I have a bluetooth device paired to it.

What's the Chromecast bit, don't get that.
  • essex-commuter
    Right, just found a button on the app with no description. When I push it the music comes out of my wired headphones, when I push it again it comes out of the phone. I reckon that's what I need to do to send it to Bluetooth.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Yes, that's the app. I can't see any option to send the music somewhere else, or perhaps that only appears when I have a bluetooth device paired to it.

Ie, dont' look for a Bluetooth button, look for a chromecast button.
    To get to the right menu to change the audio from the headphones to Bluetooth, hit the Chromecast button, which will ask you what device you want to share it to - from there, you can should be able to pick your Bluetooth headset.
    Therefore your looking for this 32px-Chromecast_cast_button_icon.svg.png
    button, not 32px-Bluetooth.svg.png
  • essex-commuter

Ie, dont' look for a Bluetooth button, look for a chromecast button.
    To get to the right menu to change the audio from the headphones to Bluetooth, hit the Chromecast button, which will ask you what device you want to share it to - from there, you can should be able to pick your Bluetooth headset.
    Therefore your looking for this 32px-Chromecast_cast_button_icon.svg.png
    button, not 32px-Bluetooth.svg.png

Thanks for that. Can't see a Chromecast button either...will have a play around when I get home with a bluetooth speaker.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Thanks for that. Can't see a Chromecast button either...will have a play around when I get home with a bluetooth speaker.

No worries, they might have changed it again - I'm going back to a Moto G/Razr I territory, so ~ 2 years ago. Hopefully the button you've found does what it needs to.
  • essex-commuter

No worries, they might have changed it again - I'm going back to a Moto G/Razr I territory, so ~ 2 years ago. Hopefully the button you've found does what it needs to.

It did. I plugged in some earphones and sent the sound to my car speakers via BT perfectly. I've just ordered some Aftershokz Trekz Titaniums. Not cheap but I need something to motivate me at 5.30am when I leave.

If anyone is interested in a review of these I will report back. Ordered direct from Aftershokz, should be with me this week.

Thanks for your help.
  • essex-commuter
    Used for the first time this morning...awesome bit of kit. And yes, I can listen to the radio via BT using an antenna in the 3.5mm phone socket. Used with a Podcast today though. Can also take phone calls which given my current personal situation it's nice to be in touch all the time....I'm not going to ride along talking but at least I can hear and answer calls direct from the headset.

First set were faulty out of the box, I bought direct from distributor and they replaced straight away.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Very cool, I'mm using a mono ear bud connected to a bluetooth receiver at the moment, it's ok, but not optimal, the bud creates quite a lot of additional wind noise when I don't have my ear warmer on. Might have to try some bone conduction over the summer, it helps pass the time.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • essex-commuter
    prawny wrote:
    Very cool, I'mm using a mono ear bud connected to a bluetooth receiver at the moment, it's ok, but not optimal, the bud creates quite a lot of additional wind noise when I don't have my ear warmer on. Might have to try some bone conduction over the summer, it helps pass the time.

I used a mono bud prior to these but a wired one, I always had trouble with the bud coming loose/falling out when I looked over my shoulder etc., used to drive me mad. That might just be my ear shape though, couldn't even get a good fit with ones that came with different rubbers to fit different ears.

I thought the titanium band around the back of my neck may prove troublesome, but even with a helmet and a high collar jacket (which I wore this morning - 3.5 degrees) they didn't budge. The large button on the left that is used to take calls can also be pushed to mute the sound...and it's easy to find with full fingered gloves on. Adjusting the volume cannot be done with gloves on. I set the volume before I left, put my phone in my Ortlieb panner as usual...and off I went, happy bunny this morning.

And yes, it helps pass the time, and enables me to catch up on a bit of news every day if I wish. I've seen some small 'rubber duck' antennas with a 3.5mm socket on eBay, might give one of them a try instead of leaving a set of headphones plugged in to get a good signal if on FM.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    You've piqued my interest. Ordered the cheap wired set to have a play with: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aftershokz-AS40 ... ge_o00_s00

Might be good for solo training rides, not sure about the commute yet.

I have an enormous head so fit might be a challenge.
  • If anyone is interested I have a pair of AfterShokz Bone Conduction Bluetooth headphones for sale. I use mine every day and love them, bought some for my wife but she doesn't really use them. They are about 4 months old, look new.

They come with everything as they did new, including carry pouch and box. Listen to music, podcasts, accept phone calls, hear notifications etc.

Will stick on eBay in a week or so if no interest.

£109 new, looking for £75 including signed for postage in UK.