New shoes and pedals?

broona
broona Posts: 414
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Following on from my thread asking about new pedals here - viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13062270 I've decided that I probably need a new, stiffer pair of cycling shoes, and possibly some new pedals to match.

In an ideal world, I'd like something that meets the following :-

Less than £150 all in for either shoes or shoes and pedals
Something I can walk in, if I commute it's a good 10 minute walk from the bike storage to my place of work
Feel free to ignore this part! :)

Any recommendations please?

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    A ten minute walk in cycling shoes is going to ruin road cleats and ruin a sole as they're made for cycling, now walking.

But if you insist, mountain bike SPD's are the way to go as the cleat is recessed.

If it were me, I'd buy some £20 SPD's of Wiggle and some cheap shoes which you don't mind ruining for the commute and a second pair for real rides.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ten minutes walking ? Ay caramba.

Yes definitely MTB shoes and pedals. SPD. Time Atac. Something like that. I've some cheap Adidas MTB shoes that I've used for 100+ mile rides. They're not as stiff as my carbon road shoes but its never a problem. I'd suggest stiff shoes would be more of a problem for your 20 mins of walking each day.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    10 minutes? Good grief!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    broona wrote:
    Following on from my thread asking about new pedals here - viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13062270 I've decided that I probably need a new, stiffer pair of cycling shoes, and possibly some new pedals to match.

Something I can walk in, if I commute it's a good 10 minute walk from the bike storage to my place of work

I use Specialized touring shoes fro commuting and often walk round town in them. Don't think they make them any more but worth a look on line. Giro have a couple of nice options around £100. With cleats £120. My Specialized were £45 i think. I have SPD's on all bar 1 bike and don't really notice a difference between the two except it's much easier to walk in SPD's.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    broona wrote:

M520 and Shimano M089; £69 for the set.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I have these pedals on 2 bikes, very lightweight:

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-pa ... -pro-pedal

As for shoes, my Diadora Vortex mtb are relatively stiff and lightweight, but they don't seem to be available anymore. I think I picked mine up for about £85-90. I find them very comfortable, but from online reviews some people find the fit not so good.
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Thanks for all the replies, looking further into it, I may be better off taking my HT into work and saving my road bike for good with some new pedals.

So, if that's the route I'm going to take, ignore the walking part and recommend me some proper road shoes and pedals please. ;)
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Something like Shimano touring shoes RT82 and either SPD or Time ATAC pedals and cleats.