Sram Force compatibility

NateTheGreat
NateTheGreat Posts: 29
edited April 2016 in Workshop
I know there have been tons of threads posted on many forums about this subject, but I couldn't find anything really that relates to me.
I am wanting to build a bike from a Ribble Sportive Racing frame because my old bike doesn't quite fit me, but the components on my old bike are pretty good (full 2011 10s Sram force groupset, Mavic Ksyrium Edition Spéciale wheels).

Now comes my problem... The Ribble frame has a PF30 BB and my bike has a threaded BB so my crank is a GXP crank and not a BB30/PF30 crank. But I can't find a 10s BB30/PF30 Sram Force crank used or new...

So I was wondering if I can use this setup no problem:
10s Shifters
11s Force Yaw FD
11s Force Crank
11s chain
10s cassette (11-28)
10s Force RD (short cage)

This site said it is possible for RED: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/news/it-works-we-test-sram-red-backwards-compatibility_209270

Thanks for your help!

TLDR;
Will this setup work together? (10s stuff is from 2011 I think)
10s Force Shifters
11s Force Yaw FD
11s Force Crank
11s chain
10s cassette (11-28)

Comments

• sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    You can use everything you are suggesting but I would question the use of an 11 speed chain, it is narrower than 10 speed so will fit but I would stick to a 10 speed but others may have tried and tested knowledge.

Here is an old thread going over some of the details.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12980078
  • Sandyballs wrote:
    You can use everything you are suggesting but I would question the use of an 11 speed chain, it is narrower than 10 speed so will fit but I would stick to a 10 speed but others may have tried and tested knowledge.

I had read somewhere that using an 11s chain helped with chain rub, but it seems that a 10s chain works too.
    I also read that you usually want to keep the chain to the same speed as the cassette.

Thanks for your input!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Why not just use a BB30 to GXP adaptor and re-use all your existing groupset?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    On one bike I have:-

10s Red Shifters
    11s Force Yaw FD
    11s Force Crank with 11 speed rings and sometimes 10 speed Q-rings
    10s KMC chain
    10s Shimano cassette (11-28)
    10s Red RD (short cage)

All works perfectly. Think you need to use a 10 speed chain with a 10 speed cassette though. Doesn't matter whether it's 11 or 10 speed chain rings with that setup (I've used both) despite a quoted SRAM source somewhere on the web, they says it affects shifting. My front shift is perfect and trims just as it should.

But as above, I think your best option is a Praxis Works BB30-GXP BB adaptor and reuse what you have.
  • Svetty wrote:
    Why not just use a BB30 to GXP adaptor and re-use all your existing groupset?

I looked at doing that and I guess spending 80euros on the adaptor is better then spending 300+ on a new crank and PF30 BB! Are the Praxis adaptors the best to get? Because the Sram ones I have heard are crap.
    Though, I'll still have to get a new front mec since mine now is a band-on and the frame I want has a braze-on system.
  • Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    Are the Praxis adaptors the best to get? Because the Sram ones I have heard are crap.
    Though, I'll still have to get a new front mec since mine now is a band-on and the frame I want has a braze-on system.

Yes, a bit pricey but worth it. If you are going to install it yourself then you need two BB tools and a press-fit tool. Pay heed to the installation instructions as you mustn't crush the o-ring. The instructions are pretty simple you just need to follow them closely.

http://www.praxiscycles.com/wp-content/ ... ctions.pdf
  • Escher303 wrote:
    Yes, a bit pricey but worth it. If you are going to install it yourself then you need two BB tools and a press-fit tool. Pay heed to the installation instructions as you mustn't crush the o-ring. The instructions are pretty simple you just need to follow them closely.

http://www.praxiscycles.com/wp-content/ ... ctions.pdf

I was going to get my LBS to do it since I don't have the BB tools and they charge 14euros to put a BB in a frame. Cheaper then me buying the tools to do it myself and I support my LBS!
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    If the bearings are already in the frame, then the much cheaper adapters from wheels mfg at £25 work brilliantly, just slot them in and insert crankset.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I know there have been tons of threads posted on many forums about this subject, but I couldn't find anything really that relates to me.
    I am wanting to build a bike from a Ribble Sportive Racing frame because my old bike doesn't quite fit me, but the components on my old bike are pretty good (full 2011 10s Sram force groupset, Mavic Ksyrium Edition Spéciale wheels).

Now comes my problem... The Ribble frame has a PF30 BB and my bike has a threaded BB so my crank is a GXP crank and not a BB30/PF30 crank. But I can't find a 10s BB30/PF30 Sram Force crank used or new...

So I was wondering if I can use this setup no problem:
    10s Shifters
    11s Force Yaw FD
    11s Force Crank
    11s chain
    10s cassette (11-28)

This site said it is possible for RED: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/news/it-works-we-test-sram-red-backwards-compatibility_209270

Thanks for your help!

TLDR;
    Will this setup work together? (10s stuff is from 2011 I think)
    10s Force Shifters
    11s Force Yaw FD
    11s Force Crank
    11s chain
    10s cassette (11-28)

Why are you swapping to a SRAM 11 speed crankset? You don't need it. Similarly you don't need a SRAM 11sp front or rear derailleur. You can save a lot of money and upgrade to full 11 speed using your existing front and rear derailleurs and crankset. SRAM are backwards compatible so your 10 speed derailleurs will work as 11 speed just by swapping your shifters to 11 speed. All you need buy is an 11 speed cassette, 11 speed shifters and the adapters for your existing crankset.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If the bearings are already in the frame, then the much cheaper adapters from wheels mfg at £25 work brilliantly, just slot them in and insert crankset.

Unless your existing BB bearings are needing replacement, this type of adaptors (there are several manufacturers of similar ones) is all you need.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D