Lost key

gedme
gedme Posts: 68
edited April 2016 in Road general
So apart from weather what's the most annoying thing that's happened to you? I have started to cycle to work and today I cycled through the rain the 8miles to get there, gave bike chain bit of spray and gave bike bit of wipe down and secured with usual lock. Did 12hrs shift then got ready for cycle home in rain again but discovered that the keys to the lock had vanished :shock: could not find them and tried to break this lock but it was not to be. Phoned wife she came picked me up brought some of tools I had but no bloody good so bike is home but front wheel is still at work. The lock certainly did its job it only cost me couple of quid. So back tomorrow with bolt cutters and one very cheesed of cyclist.

Comments

• SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Got to ask the obvious... Where's the spare key?

Last year for some unknown reason I purchased a Viking Peleton. After a few weeks the inner chain ring was rubbing against the frame.1 hr walk home! LBS took it back and said it needed a spacer. Following day, same again, inc. walk. LBS replaced bottom bracket with a Shimano unit. Some weeks later I came off the thing and damaged the gear levers. That bike was jinxed, but my son now owns it and had no problems! Viking... If I had known then what I know now!!!

PS You should lock up the frame. If someone wants your bike they'll take it as you did... Front wheels are cheap and easy to replace.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yep. Always separate your keys so you have a spare and you never just lock up the front wheel. Now you know!
  • gedme
    SME wrote:
    Got to ask the obvious... Where's the spare key?

Last year for some unknown reason I purchased a Viking peloton. After a few weeks the inner chain ring was rubbing against the frame.1 hr walk home! LBS took it back and said it needed a spacer. Following day, same again, inc. walk. LBS replaced bottom bracket with a Shimano unit. Some weeks later I came off the thing and damaged the gear levers. That bike was jinxed, but my son now owns it and had no problems! Viking... If I had known then what I know now!!!

PS You should lock up the frame. If someone wants your bike they'll take it as you did... Front wheels are cheap and easy to replace.
    Well I hate to admit it spare key was still attached to key ring.... Aye I'm a twat :oops:
  • gedme
    oxoman wrote:
    I put my lock key and work locker key on my clockcard lanyard so I can't lose it, also spare key in locker and at home if required. I also leave the D lock at work all the time and as mentioned above always lock through the frame and a wheel if possible. SME st least you learnt by your mistake, viking yuk purghhh.
    My work has bike lockers am in the process of trying to get one. But yes I learnt a lesson yesterday.
  • gedme
    Fenix wrote:
    Yep. Always separate your keys so you have a spare and you never just lock up the front wheel. Now you know!
    Indeed. Feel a complete fool :oops:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    This does remind me though - I know i've split up my keys - but is the spare STILL on the fridge where I last remember it being ???
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Bike lock mine came with like four spares so ones in the office one on the keys, on in the bag I use for work an the other at home.

Most annoying thing ive done is spent was when I moved parts over from one bike to another a few years back. I couldnt get the front mech to fit so bought a new one which didnt either, took it to my LBS, who just unclipped the inner surround...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I spent an hour looking for my bike lock at home the other day before a ride out in Wales. Eventually, after going around the same usual places again and again and getting more and more bewildered, I asked my wife...only to be told "Oh yes, meant to tell you the other day that I lent that lock to [our youngest daughter] but she thinks she has left it wrapped around some tree in the park...and cannot remember which one"...grrrr!
  • gedme
    Fenix wrote:
    This does remind me though - I know i've split up my keys - but is the spare STILL on the fridge where I last remember it being ???
    Mm mm bought new lock today one with numbers !!
  • gedme
    Step83 wrote:
    Bike lock mine came with like four spares so ones in the office one on the keys, on in the bag I use for work an the other at home.

Most annoying thing ive done is spent was when I moved parts over from one bike to another a few years back. I couldnt get the front mech to fit so bought a new one which didnt either, took it to my LBS, who just unclipped the inner surround...
    Aye have a story lines keep that but no saying after lock incident ha ha
  • gedme
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I spent an hour looking for my bike lock at home the other day before a ride out in Wales. Eventually, after going around the same usual places again and again and getting more and more bewildered, I asked my wife...only to be told "Oh yes, meant to tell you the other day that I lent that lock to [our youngest daughter] but she thinks she has left it wrapped around some tree in the park...and cannot remember which one"...grrrr!
    Now that's annoying ha ha
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Bobbinogs wrote:

A sniffer dog could probably find it for you... But you may not want it back afterwards.

Steve
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    SME wrote:
    [A sniffer dog could probably find it for you... But you may not want it back afterwards.

Steve

Now you're just taking the p*** :D

I'll get my coat.......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • N1TRO
    N1TRO Posts: 103
    I was walking around town a while ago with some mates of mine when a lady came up to us and said she can't open her (2 days old) lock with her key. It was a measly thing, Polish-made from a company called Force - I remember because I bought some of their stuff as well. So we went over and sure enough, it was stuck. Luckily there was a construction site across the street and one of us managed to borrow some bolt cutters. Gave it to the biggest guy in the group, who managed to cut through the lock in about 2 seconds.

Now if the bike really belonged to the old lady I don't know, but I've been doubtful of these cheap locks ever since.
  • gedme
    N1TRO wrote:
    I was walking around town a while ago with some mates of mine when a lady came up to us and said she can't open her (2 days old) lock with her key. It was a measly thing, Polish-made from a company called Force - I remember because I bought some of their stuff as well. So we went over and sure enough, it was stuck. Luckily there was a construction site across the street and one of us managed to borrow some bolt cutters. Gave it to the biggest guy in the group, who managed to cut through the lock in about 2 seconds.

Now if the bike really belonged to the old lady I don't know, but I've been doubtful of these cheap locks ever since.
    Bought one from halfords number lock guy was showing me how to set it he put in a number locked it and forgot what number he put in.... was still trying to unlock it when I left :D
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    so bike is home but front wheel is still at work.

Sounds like you need to learn to place the lock around the bike frame. Just placing it throughout the front wheel is not secure. The lock didn't do its job, if you can just disconnect the wheel and walk off with the bike frame.

Antifurt-7.png

locked_bike_large.png
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • gedme
    ben@31 wrote:
    so bike is home but front wheel is still at work.

Sounds like you need to learn to place the lock around the bike frame. Just placing it throughout the front wheel is not secure. The lock didn't do its job, if you can just disconnect the wheel and walk off with the bike frame.
    total
    Antifurt-7.png

locked_bike_large.png
    Well the lock did do its job!!!! It was the person who put lock on that never worked. I put it round wheel rookie mistake believe me that lock worked just fine..... My word it makes me laugh you sent that lol. Well cheers that cheered me up....
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    This reminds me, I really must move the spare key to my car from the glove box...
  • gedme
    HaydenM wrote:
    This reminds me, I really must move the spare key to my car from the glove box...
    Ha ha
  • gedme wrote:
    N1TRO wrote:

Bought one from halfords number lock guy was showing me how to set it he put in a number locked it and forgot what number he put in.... was still trying to unlock it when I left :D

Not sure which is sillier, a Halfords bloke showing you how to operate a lock, only to find he cant unlock it again or the act of actually going into Halfords and buying something there.
  • gedme
    gedme wrote:
    N1TRO wrote:

Not sure which is sillier, a Halfords bloke showing you how to operate a lock, only to find he cant unlock it again or the act of actually going into Halfords and buying something there.
    So now I'm silly my god so what's problem cause I bought lock from there??? I use spokes in Dundee but thought busy month will buy from there. Good lock it is to. So why is that silly? This is great site some real crackers.
  • gedme wrote:
    gedme wrote:
    N1TRO wrote:

So now I'm silly my god so what's problem cause I bought lock from there??? I use spokes in Dundee but thought busy month will buy from there. Good lock it is to. So why is that silly? This is great site some real crackers.

Sorry, it was just a bit of banter based on Halfords reputation. Seriously, I dont think your the least bit silly. Didnt mean to offend you.
  • gedme
    gedme wrote:
    gedme wrote:
    N1TRO wrote:

Sorry, it was just a bit of banter based on Halfords reputation. Seriously, I dont think your the least bit silly. Didnt mean to offend you.
    Ah no worries just came after was sent photos on how to lock a bike.... Doh!!!!all cool cheers.
  • gedme
    gedme wrote:
    gedme wrote:
    N1TRO wrote: