Bent / Wobbly chainring

jp1970
jp1970 Posts: 134
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Hi

Just noticed that my outer chain ring (FSA vero Compact) is either slightly bent or wobbly. I decided to inspect it after the chain unshipped whilst changing up going down a short hill on a club run. Luckily I wasn't applying a great deal of force/power when chain came off.

I've taken off the chainrings and crankset (drive side only) and 'checked" if the outer chainring is warped / bent by placing the ring flat on the kitchen worktop to try and detect wobble..!!
Having re assembled the crankset back on it still has a very small wobble... About 1-2mm when checking against the FD.

is it time for a new chainring or crankset ? Or do I need to get the hammer out !!..

Thanks in advance ...

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,679
    Sure it's not some play in the bottom bracket? I had similar issues. Held pedal and could wobble crank arm by about 1-2 mm. New BB and all is good again.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,164
    fsa vero chainrings are like cheese, i had one buckle on me going up a short sharp ramp, it took just finger strength to bend it back close enough to flat to gently make it home

vero is an oem-only model, the spider is standard, you can just get a generic chainring to replace the bent one, this'll probably be ok...

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/compact-chai ... -prod35323

...or you can pay more for a lighter one
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    i think a slight wobble is pretty typical for many rings - manufacturing tolerances etc. However 2mm sounds excessive. Replace if you think its dropping the chain.