700 X 28 cheap tyre recommendations & will they fit a trek madone 2.1?

Sportiveman
Sportiveman Posts: 158
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm after a new set of tyres for my trek madone 2.1 I am thinking of putting a set of 700 X 28 s on will they fit ? Any recommendations for budget/ mid price range? Or if not will try 25 s as currently run 700 X 23 X .

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I'm after a new set of tyres for my trek madone 2.1 I am thinking of putting a set of 700 X 28 s on will they fit ? Any recommendations for budget/ mid price range? Or if not will try 25 s as currently run 700 X 23 X .

Michelin Pro4 Endurance in either 700x25 or 28. Have run both and find them excellent. You might struggle with the 28's on your Madone. Hopefully there will be someone who has direct experience of the max size you can get away with on the Trek frame
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Worth pointing out that Michelin 25s come up very big. I've seen a group review of 28mm tyres where they included Michelin 25s as they came up to 27mm anyway, so just a whisker off those branded 28 anyway.
    Think CRC have PR4Es for £22 with tubes at the moment.
    Also seen a few deals about for Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech 28s, Merlin have them for £17.50 each, another good choice.
    You'll get good deals on both Michelin and Vittoria at the moment as both have introduced new ranges and retaillers are clearing stock.