Bottom Bracket for Giant Defy 5 2014

madassteve
madassteve Posts: 31
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Does anyone know what campy bottom bracket fitting I need to replace my 2014 Giant Defy 5 FSA bottom bracket?

I can't find the details online. It mearly says sealed...

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... 807/66177/

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    It's a sealed FSA cartridge, the BB shell should be threaded BSA English 68mm x (1.37" x 24 T.P.I). Take the cranks off and look for the markings on the BB, you may need to remove the BB if they are not visible on the outside of the cups.
  • DJ58 wrote:
    It's a sealed FSA cartridge, the BB shell should be threaded BSA English 68mm x (1.37" x 24 T.P.I). Take the cranks off and look for the markings on the BB, you may need to remove the BB if they are not visible on the outside of the cups.

Thanks. So if it's threaded I should need the English thread drive cups opposed to the BB86 press fit?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,679
    I just replaced the BB on my 2013 Defy 3. It was a square taper 68 x 110 sealed cartridge. Cost £15 from Chain Reaction. Tool was about £5. Nice and creak free now.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Thanks. Yea mine is a square taper and the FSA unit has not lasted a very long time. It's probably done around 5000 miles.

I inspected it this morning and the FSA unit is definitely threaded in. Does that definitely mean it will be a British thread set of drive cups that I need? I want to install a Campagnolo groupset so I'll need to get the correct drive cups.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,679
    Mine was standard British thread. Can't help you with the Campo groupset upgrade as I only replaced like for like (well and improved Shimano cartridge)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    madassteve wrote:
    Does that definitely mean it will be a British thread set of drive cups that I need? I want to install a Campagnolo groupset so I'll need to get the correct drive cups.

Yes you will need the Campag equivalent English thread bottom bracket that matches the crankset you are going to use.
  • DJ58 wrote:
    madassteve wrote:
    Does that definitely mean it will be a British thread set of drive cups that I need? I want to install a Campagnolo groupset so I'll need to get the correct drive cups.

Yes you will need the Campag equivalent English thread bottom bracket that matches the crankset you are going to use.

Cheers guys. Now on order. It amazes me how there is a total lack of standards for bike components! No upgrades/changes I have done have been straightforward.