XT m8000 rear shifting problem

Sandstorm297
Sandstorm297 Posts: 6
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought and installed a brand new 1x11 XT groupset. It worked great for one ride. The second ride I fell off quite spectacularly, twice, and now it won't shift into 42, the biggest sprocket.

I've tried all the usual things, the limiters are correct, the cable tension is tight and have played a lot with it. I have changed the inner and out cables to make sure.

I put on a brand new mech hanger as we suspected it may be slightly bent. I am pretty sure the mech itself isn't bent.

I am totally stumped, has anyone else had this problem? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Does it shift top and bottom by hand, without the cable connected?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Ah, that's a really good point. I'm only getting 10 clicks from the shifter, do you think I could have broken the shifter internals?
  • Actually scrap that, I realised that there can only be 10 clicks for an 11 speed shifter. So yeah, the mech moves from 1-11 fine and the shifter appears to be working.
  • cooldad
    Still not sure if it moves all the way by hand, but if so, and nothing is bent, it's not indexed correctly.

Are you sure the shifter is on the last click before you connect the cable?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cheers for the help.

I can move the mech by hand and get the chain into 42.
    But with the shifter it appears to be indexed from 1-10 but when I shift from 10-11 it won't go. Feels very tight. Tried increasing the tension but won't help. Plenty of clearance from the b screw too. Totally confused.

Thanks
  • cooldad
    Sounds too tight. Loosen everything off, read Parktools and start again.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Even though you've replaced the mech hanger, the frame drop-out itself might still be bent and might need a tweak. Might be worth taking bike to your LBS to check hanger / frame alignment.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Just fitted the same to my Whyte. Double check you have the chain routed correctly through the rear derailleur, I had my'n on the wrong side of the anti derailment plate between the 2 jockey wheels, its much smoother shifting now.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Cheers all, Monty Dog was spot on. LBS wouldn't look at my bike because it's a Canyon. Got hold of a mech hanger alignment tool instead, gave it a tweak and now it's shifting like a dream! Happy bikes everyone.