New rear tyre.

the big bitch
the big bitch Posts: 68
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
Iam after a new rear tyre, I have at the moment maxxie ardent race 2.2 Tr 3c and after a weekend in the Lake District I found it not very grippy.

Some of the other lads I was riding with has hi rollers, any other options?

I generally ride trail centres and Planning a trip to the peak distrist soon.

Cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There's not an awful lot in it between the Ardent and High Roller. If you're having that much trouble it's more likely a technique issue.
    What are the conditions where you are loosing grip? Is it mid corner? Straight line? Braking? And whats the surface conditions? Dry? wet? Loose rock? muddy?
  • Straight line and when braking, conditions was very wet in the lakes. The rocky surface was wet.
    Pretty inexperienced when coming to things like this. Few of the lads I was with also suggested changing to back tyre for a more knobbly one.
    Don't know what the conditions will be at hope valley.

Is the ardent a decent all round tyre??
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    listen to RMSC as he is a cycling god
  • POAH wrote:
    listen to RMSC as he is a cycling god

I will do. Shall I keep the ardent on the back then RMSC
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's a decent tyre. The High Roller is a little better in the wet but not an awful lot.
    The Ardent is a good all round tyre but slightly more biased to dry conditions or surfaced trails.
  • Cheers mate, I will stick with the ardent for now then. Put the money to my reverb :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    What pressure are you running?
  • What pressure are you running?

Started of on 40psi but iam quite a big lad and they felt fairly flat so I put another 10psi in.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406

Started of on 40psi but iam quite a big lad and they felt fairly flat so I put another 10psi in.

There's your problem, try dropping the pressures. I generally run 25-30 psi
  • rockmonkeysc

That's why you're not getting any grip. You want 35psi max. Ideally less than that.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just an observation on the above, the Ardent Race and Ardent are two totally different tyres, the comments above are about the Ardent, the OP says he has an Ardent Race and the comments on the Ardent are, well, not relevant.

As quick comparison, if the Ardent is like a Nobby Nic the Race is like a Rocket Ron, it will struggle in anything muddy as it doesn't have the tread depth or mud shedding capability of the Ardent, at this time of year that is pretty important, the observations about the pressure hold true though.

http://www.maxxis.co.uk/tyres/cycle/mountain-bike
    Note that the different uses intended by Maxxis.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I had a Ardent and changed to the Schwalbe rock razor, got it in January and done all the riding over here since without any issues i was amazed at what it could do and how it grips.
    Its predictable and i know i need to carry abit more speed into certain situations but i think thats also come with the fact i went to flats for a few months to improve technique.
  • The Rookie
    Yes but the OP has an Ardent Race, so it's 'so what'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pigglet
    pigglet Posts: 68
    As stated above, the ardent race is going to offer much less grip in Lake land winter conditions compared to a high roller. I was running regular ardents on my pivot but after trying various tyre combinations have settled on 2.2 conti trail kings in exo black chilli. I have found them excellent in a really wide range of conditions from dry to muddy. Running tubeless on wet rocky terrain I'm running them at 23 and 25 psi and get loads of grip and no burping.
  • The Rookie
    There are lots of options really, just by picking a tyre to suite the conditions, Ardent, Nic, TrailKing all spring to mind, there are more.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    No, was RMSC wrong? Christ surely not.

re: PSI you can't blanket it to say everyone should run 35psi or less, its entirely dependent on the person and the riding. Its like saying everyone needs to run no more than 100 psi in your forks.