geordiebrian
geordiebrian Posts: 63
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
What's the best xc forks what's is the ones to avoid

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    edited April 2016
    Depends on the bike you're fitting them to. Headset size. Travel required. Axle size. Wheel size. Brake type.
    There's no such thing as a standard xc fork any more.
    What's your budget?
  • rockmonkeysc
    POAH wrote:
    get a manitou marvel pro

That's great advice. Well done for giving sound reasons why it's the best choice to help with the choice.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Best ones have damping, avoid those that don't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:
    get a manitou marvel pro

That's great advice. Well done for giving sound reasons why it's the best choice to help with the choice.

TBH I didn't see the point as you would come along and tell us what actually is the best XC fork because one of your XC mates has one.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    So his recommendation is based on one of his mates having one so what is your's based on?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    FishFish wrote:
    So his recommendation is based on one of his mates having one so what is your's based on?

I believe he has one. Therefore it is the best.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Manitou Marvel Pro gets good reviews - no experience myself.

I have an older SID on mine and have tried a couple of mates bikes with the latest SID, its stiff enough (just a little twangy as a 29er but fine for XC use, fine as a twenty 6/7.5), reliable, easily serviced and lightweight. Pick your damper to suite your use.

The RS1 is a consideration, its heavier and needs a special (also a bit heavier) front hub but is stiffer longitudinally (but twists a bit more), a friend just bought a Canyon with one on and overall prefers the performance to his previous (29er) SID but not the weight increase. Contrary to some of the scare stories fixing a flat is not an issue (first ride would you believe - before he went tubeless).

Fox will be bringing out an 'all new' and lighter 32 (presumably) next year (spotted on works bikes this year - distinguishable by the flat inner face above the dropout) which is meant to be lighter than the SID, the current offering is no better than the SID in any area but worse in others (weight), the latest damper (fit4) is meant to be a match for the SID but I've not tried it, avoid the previous CTD's like you would a plague.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • OK I'm I'm considering between these two forks manituo marvel pro are the rockshox sid world cup
  • The Rookie
    You won't go wrong with the SID, with no experience of the Marvel I can't say which is better though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The world cup with the XX system and hydro remote lockout doesn't give any low speed compression adjustment. One I would avoid. Is also pretty porky in the bigger wheel sizes, for some reason it adds on over 200g. That said so is the Marvel in anything but the top end model. The prices of both relatively good though in the sales. I am generalising, but I find Manitou XC forks to have a more linear stroke than RS (which ramp up a lot in the last quarter), but still seem to ride higher in the travel. But the ABS+ damper can spike on very hard hits. Whether this has been remedied for later models I don't know.
  • The forks are for a 26 bike I don't race it's just for general xc riding it has a set of Reba duel air 2011 just looking to up grade
  • The Rookie
    That's a lot of money to shed 200g, if the Reba's are in good condition then maybe just service and fit a better damper if you have the basic RL version.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The Rookie wrote:
    That's a lot of money to shed 200g, if the Reba's are in good condition then maybe just service and fit a better damper if you have the basic RL version.

Just what i was thinking. With forks once you go beyond reba's you need a clear idea of what features and performance you are after or you can see little difference in real world use.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    OK I'm I'm considering between these two forks manituo marvel pro are the rockshox sid world cup

I'd just go the normal sid RCT3 - the manitou damper is easily modified to your riding (there is a load of info on MTBR about it and manitou have a book full of shim stacks) the sid is a nice fork too. I've used the marvel pro and the sid while FOX are expensive. Both forks are expensive and since you already have a reba I'm not sure you are going to see a much of a difference in performance but its always nice to have new stuff 8)

both forks can be travel adjusted easily - manitou have a spacer and the SIDS is an easy airshaft change.

what steerer and axle size do you have, you might find the SID's are easier to come by. Either way both forks are good with the SID's being a bit lighter