70mm bolt for fitting mudguards

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited April 2016 in The workshop
Evening all,

trying to fit mudguards to my gf's new disc brake Fuji 1.1.

The front fork is THICK, and as it is disc braked has no brakes fitted through it.

The longest bolt I have is an M6 50mm, and is too short - looks like I need a 70mm one to make it, am I correct in thinking this will do the trick?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOCKET-CAP-SCREWS-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-ALLEN-KEY-BOLTS-M4-M5-M6-M8-M10-/150846401601?var=&hash=item231f256c41:m:md_pC3-Fg5Go2HKoyu6Ibkg
$_57.JPG

It says it is stainless, and am virtually certain that will do the trick, just after confirmation.

I have also checked that M6 fits through diameter wise.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    There is a solution that might work with the 50mm bolt.
    Put the bolt throught the mudguard bridge then put it into the bottom of the forks and wiggle the bolt through the crown so that it sticks out, hopefully the allen key needed on the bolt is small enough to go through the hole on the front of the forks then use a nyloc nut and washer to tighten the bolt up. Might not make sense but have a fiddle and you should be able to understand what I've suggested.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • daniel_b
    redvee wrote:
    There is a solution that might work with the 50mm bolt.
    Put the bolt throught the mudguard bridge then put it into the bottom of the forks and wiggle the bolt through the crown so that it sticks out, hopefully the allen key needed on the bolt is small enough to go through the hole on the front of the forks then use a nyloc nut and washer to tighten the bolt up. Might not make sense but have a fiddle and you should be able to understand what I've suggested.

Cheers Redvee, yes I know what you mean, and went and had a go earlier, but the hole is too small for even an M5 head - doesn't look like I have any M4's handy.
    I can feel a slight ridge inside, so expect it could have worked given the right hardware.

Anyway, I have gone for the 70mm M6 10 pack for less than £3, am sure the other 9 will come in useful at some point........
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    70mm bolts arrived in double quick time, managed to complete it on Thursday :-)

26251151916_cf1483ffd5_z.jpgIMG_20160406_150751 by Daniel 2009, on Flickr
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18