High or low profile wheels for UK

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at new wheels, possibly a pair of Bora 35's or Bora 50 Ultras or Enve 3-4's.

My 1st wheel set purchase in about 5 years. They say Bora 35's are a better all round wheel i.e - for UK roads which we all know are crap (worst roads in Western Europe). 50's for flatter smoother roads. Well the weight difference is not even 100 grams between either pair. I guess 35's are better climbing wheels, they say the new braking diamond cutting surface is as almost as good in the wet as alu rims! Enve's look good as well.

Are 50's a wheel that can be used for Alps, flat, UK roads?....or are 35's the only suitable wheel for these type of rides. i.e - I need a carbon wheel that can do everything, race, climb, crap UK roads, hills, alps......I want carbon. I think the carbon braking technology is getting really high tech, well that's what I read!

Comments

• PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    canoas wrote:
    I'm looking at new wheels, possibly a pair of Bora 35's or Bora 50 Ultras or Enve 3-4's.

My 1st wheel set purchase in about 5 years. They say Bora 35's are a better all round wheel i.e - for UK roads which we all know are crap (worst roads in Western Europe). 50's for flatter smoother roads. Well the weight difference is not even 100 grams between either pair. I guess 35's are better climbing wheels, they say the new braking diamond cutting surface is as almost as good in the wet as alu rims! Enve's look good as well.

Are 50's a wheel that can be used for Alps, flat, UK roads?....or are 35's the only suitable wheel for these type of rides. i.e - I need a carbon wheel that can do everything, race, climb, crap UK roads, hills, alps......I want carbon. I think the carbon braking technology is getting really high tech, well that's what I read!

Lower rim depths are less affected by cross winds. Something to bear in mind. IMO 35-38mm depth is about the right combo for aerodynamics, stability and weight
  • canoas
    PTestTeam wrote:
    canoas wrote:

Lower rim depths are less affected by cross winds. Something to bear in mind. IMO 35-38mm depth is about the right combo for aerodynamics, stability and weight

I was actually thinking about cross winds, like in today's weather. The winds in March have been strong, I would hate to be running 50-60mm deep sections. This makes me leading my weight till 35's.....what about crit racing though?..or I guess I need a pair of 50's for this?
  • PTestTeam
    PTestTeam Posts: 395
    canoas wrote:
    PTestTeam wrote:
    canoas wrote:

I was actually thinking about cross winds, like in today's weather. The winds in March have been strong, I would hate to be running 50-60mm deep sections. This makes me leading my weight till 35's.....what about crit racing though?..or I guess I need a pair of 50's for this?

35/38s will be great in crits
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    canoas wrote:
    .I want carbon. I think the carbon braking technology is getting really high tech, well that's what I read!

All carbon rims are terrible in the wet, they haven't cracked that yet.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    For crits, depth isn't a factor as it's often a sprint finish.

Crosswinds are a funny thing. If it's consistent and not too mental then I find they aren't a hindrance at all. Gusts are a pain though.

Otherwise they are a fun addition to riding. In the wet they are pretty poor and need a full revolution to scrub the water off (at least!) before the brakes actually work.

For Alps i think tubular wheels are recommended as less chance of blowing the tyre off the rim.
  • DanTe1977
    DanTe1977 Posts: 46
    I have a set of Enve 4.5's. They are absolutely brilliant wheels, spot on as all round wheels, really very good in crosswinds too. The only thing you have to watch out for is the hole in the hedge or gate, they don't like sudden blasts but strong and steady is totally fine.
    BUT the braking is pretty abysmal in the wet. There's no getting away from it and ENVES are supposed to be some of the better brakers out there. I would also not fancy long alpine descents, personally I think it could cook em.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Some deeper wheels like the bora handle cross wind very well eve in 50mm depth. The new knes are wide and the profile of wode rims works well.

Carbon rims at least the ones i ride brake quite well in the wet, certainly they are mot abysmal. I remember one wet race last year where riders went down in front of me and i manged an emergancy stop to avoid being another casualty. It does depend on the brake pads and rim resins. I have found pads that work very well. Incendently they are campagnlo's own.

I find alloy rims brake pretty poorly in the wet. if you have the right rims and pads. I think campagnolo rims are pretty good.

Shallow rims do not make better climbing wheel. I am not even sure what that term even means. Wheel weight makes a minor difference and 100g make no difference at all. Both wheels in the same bike with the rider pushing out the same power will cause the rider to climb the same hill just as quickly.

The op will find he can buy which ever he likes the look of the most. Campagnolo offer two depths because that what the market demands as riders think there is a difference. In reality both work as well as each other. Both will feel a bit different and you may prefer the feel of one over the other but i think you would like both. Both will cope with poor road surfaces.

Also road surface has not much beairng of wheel life. The tyres ahould be doing the work of protecting the wheel. If the roads are rough, ride on a wider tyre. If your frame does not have enough clearance for a wider tyre then you have the wrong frame. Changing the wheels does not change that fact.

For long decents with lots of braking then tubular are safest as get a carbon tubular rim hot is not such a problem as the tyre is mot teying to push the rim apart. I would not use any carbon clincher on long twisty decents no matter what the manufacturers claim.

The one thing i know people do is over think there wheel choice. Buy either, you will be happy and then ride them till them are dead.

I'll probably get flamed again but hey ho.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103

Of course, you will, because carbon clinchers with disc brakes is the way to go!

On a more serious note, is there a not too heavy, not too narrow alloy deep rim that could be considered a good all rounder? Aileron, perhaps?
    I like the idea, construction and value of RS81 C35, but not too keen on cup and cone and need disc brakes.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Aileron is 450g and a good rim, i ride on them because when i built thexe they where the only 30mm deep rim about and i wanted a build with cx rays 24 spokes that could my 80kg and panniers. They have held up too. The set i did for myself is under 1600g.

Since then though the kinlin xr31 rts ocr rim has become available. 24mm wide and 31mm deep. Tubeless compatible too. 28h and 32h drilling available now but 24h are due end of the month. This rim is 490g but is offset therefore you get improved spoke tension balance and longer spoke life reaults.

Lace to novatec or miche disc brake hubs and you will have a very stiff long lived wheelset that is not heavy at all. 1650g to 1700g is realisitc depending on spoke count and spoke type.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    I ride 40, 50 and 80mm rims. All carbon and all of them brake fine in the wet. The 50mm racing xlr's are OK in crosswinds even though they are 'v' profile rather than the new fangled 'u' profile of my 40mm or 80mm visions. Having said that, the vision 40's seem virtually unaffected by crosswinds.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    All those purdy bikes and you want one set of wheels that are ideal for everything?
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    I bought the 35 Boras over the 50s because I just felt they would be more versatile.

I find even in quite strong crosswinds i'm not getting blown across the road and the braking in the dry is comparable with my alloy rims. I need to see what it is like in the wet before I take them to the hills, but I think they will do well as an all round wheel from March - October.
  • canoas
    Some deeper wheels like the bora handle cross wind very well eve in 50mm depth. The new knes are wide and the profile of wode rims works well.

Carbon rims at least the ones i ride brake quite well in the wet, certainly they are mot abysmal. I remember one wet race last year where riders went down in front of me and i manged an emergancy stop to avoid being another casualty. It does depend on the brake pads and rim resins. I have found pads that work very well. Incendently they are campagnlo's own.

I find alloy rims brake pretty poorly in the wet. if you have the right rims and pads. I think campagnolo rims are pretty good.

Shallow rims do not make better climbing wheel. I am not even sure what that term even means. Wheel weight makes a minor difference and 100g make no difference at all. Both wheels in the same bike with the rider pushing out the same power will cause the rider to climb the same hill just as quickly.

The op will find he can buy which ever he likes the look of the most. Campagnolo offer two depths because that what the market demands as riders think there is a difference. In reality both work as well as each other. Both will feel a bit different and you may prefer the feel of one over the other but i think you would like both. Both will cope with poor road surfaces.

Also road surface has not much beairng of wheel life. The tyres ahould be doing the work of protecting the wheel. If the roads are rough, ride on a wider tyre. If your frame does not have enough clearance for a wider tyre then you have the wrong frame. Changing the wheels does not change that fact.

For long decents with lots of braking then tubular are safest as get a carbon tubular rim hot is not such a problem as the tyre is mot teying to push the rim apart. I would not use any carbon clincher on long twisty decents no matter what the manufacturers claim.

The one thing i know people do is over think there wheel choice. Buy either, you will be happy and then ride them till them are dead.

I think I might go tubulars, to me when I've ridden tubulars they are always the most comfortable and nicest of tyres, problem it can cost you a bit with punctures and huge hassle! And yes I must agree I'm not convinced carbon clinchers would be entirely safe with high heat down the Gavia or similar where you are reaching close 80-90kmph sometimes and when reaching the technical bends you need to be able to brake with confidence. Though I have seen a recent video from Campagnolo themselves saying the were last of the big names to bring carbon wheels out with clinchers until there were sure they were safe. That is a fact!

Other comments of carbon not been great in wet, I've heard a lot of the opposite with the likes of Enve, Mavic and Campagnolo 2016 wheels are as good as Alu if not better. I can tell you my Mavic SLR-RSYS alu coated rims in the wet are shocking down decents.

I'm still a bit undecided in regards to width, I could even run a 50mm on back 35mm on front...looks a bit naff. I think 35mm sound the way to go. Most pros run 50mm, but I can see from experience myself, when I see them, I've very rarely seen a pro training on 50mm rims, usually just alu. I know Pierre Rolland last year was running 35mm Bora's for training all the time away from races. I don't have money for 2 pairs! :(
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    DanTe1977 wrote:
    I have a set of Enve 4.5's. They are absolutely brilliant wheels, spot on as all round wheels, really very good in crosswinds too. The only thing you have to watch out for is the hole in the hedge or gate, they don't like sudden blasts but strong and steady is totally fine.
    BUT the braking is pretty abysmal in the wet. There's no getting away from it and ENVES are supposed to be some of the better brakers out there. I would also not fancy long alpine descents, personally I think it could cook em.

Same wheels and same point of view. Personally I think the 4.5's are the perfect wheel depth, and they handle crosswinds pretty well. Its very rare that I feel uncomfortable on them. The braking in the wet is poor though, I did 100 miles into Paris in torrential rain in a large group and it was 'interesting' at times. I wouldn't ride carbon clinchers in the high mountains, I think the technology has moved on and the tolerances are much higher than a few years back but you can't always choose how you descend. I came down mortirolo last year, held up by crappy roads and endless traffic coming up and down, I couldn't get off the brakes for the first couple of miles without doing some fairly reckless riding. Was glad to be on my c24's