making FD shifting easier for small hands

davidwilcock
davidwilcock Posts: 123
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Hi

On saturday I took my fiancee out for a ride on a bike we have just 'inherited'. Its a triban with Sora (not thumb shifter iteration). The bike was fine but the FD shifting was too hard for her, the travel of the level was too long for her small hands so she couldnt make the click into place. Is this something I can alter, ideally the gear would shift with less reach required.

Thanks
David

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    One possible option tho' I don't have any direct experience is to swap the Sora (I presume) front derailleur for one of the new 105 5800 front derailleurs

As you can see

fd5800fl.jpg?w=1200&h=1200&a=7

the new 5800 (and 6800) FD's have a longer and more vertically orientated actuator arm. This means that in theory it should need less cable pull to move the cage from the small to the large chain ring. This will translate to less distance for the movement of the shifter to effect a change.

Just not sure if you can use a Sora shifter with a 105 FD5800, but the FD is only £20 so might be worth a gamble
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My suggestion would be to get more compact bars so the lever is nearer the bar, so easier to reach.

You can also get shims, which are meant to help with braking but may address this issue, too
  • If it's been inherited, do you know when the cables/housing were last changed? Might be worth doing this first and it may improve things. And make sure there's enough tension on the cable.

Also make sure the cable end is properly seated in the shifter, and the cable is clamped at the correct side of the derailleur fixing bolt.

Failing that, you're going to have to upgrade her to Di2 :D
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    If it's been inherited, do you know when the cables/housing were last changed? Might be worth doing this first and it may improve things. And make sure there's enough tension on the cable.

Also make sure the cable end is properly seated in the shifter, and the cable is clamped at the correct side of the derailleur fixing bolt.

Failing that, you're going to have to upgrade her to Di2 :D

Agree with the cable, also make sure the mech itself moves nicely, if not Di2 all the way!