Best Road Pedals

fenix
fenix Posts: 5,437
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
After an accidental unclipping this weekend I'm starting to think that my antique Look Delta Pedals are ripe for upgrading....

What are the favourites out there at the moment ? Look, SPD-SL, Speedplay....

I like the look of the Speedplay pedal - very neat, but are the cleats a pain to mount ?

Replacing cleats annoys me - so I'd not want a system that needs lots of that.

Thanks

Comments

• Shuggy76
    Shuggy76 Posts: 91
    No more of a pain than fitting other cleats, except the extra bolt to be screwed in :|

Are you meaning the spring tension adjustment? That's pretty much a synch too mind
  • fenix
    I've had Look pedals since they first came out - so I figure it's time for a change.

Anyone voting for Speedplay ? The pedals do look neat.

I've read that mud is an issue - but I use MTB pedals on the winter bike - so theoretically the summer bike shouldnt get so crappy and the only walking I need to do is for cake stops.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My personal take on road pedals (after originally wanting Speedplay) is that unless you have a specific reason not to get Shimano, then get Shimano.

So DA in answer to your question.

I do not have the same view on MTB pedals, or much else in the cycling world TBH, but just do on road pedals.

Hope that helps, but as always, just ignore if not :wink:
  • fenix
    Yeah I guess Shimano is a safe and sound option - but the pedals don't look as pretty....

(i say this in the knowledge that I completely forget what colour pedals I have as I can't see them underneath my shoes anyway)
  • I use Looks. They work. They are definitely more plasticy than SPD-SL, and the bearings don't feel as good as Shimano, but they're quite light and I've never had a problem with them. Were I to start again, would they be my choice? I'm not sure.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    Speedplay plus some Keep on Kovers for me. I find double sided pedals a lot easier to use.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    I moved to Time Xpresso after using Shimano for a couple of seasons - I find the Time much easier to stand straight down with my left foot and clip in, whereas Shimano don't right themselves and need some fumbling about at times.

Plus the Time are far lighter if you're into weight saving.
  • Just moved to Speedplays and love them - if only for the nice 'snap' sound as you click in and the solid feeling. I dialled out most of the float as I didn't like the feeling of heels moving too freely. The keep on covers I'd say are boderline essential coz the cleats are pricey to replace and like ice to walk on otherwise :shock:
  • Eebijeebi
    Eebijeebi Posts: 91
    Like Speedplay but can vouch for the mud issue. After a muddy water stop at the weekend really struggled to clip in then was stuck in when wanted out and ended up keeling over into a hedgerow. Mucho embarrassing. Nearly got me again at a junction which would have been nasty meeting with the kerb of an island. I'll take the mud more seriously in future.
  • My take is unless you have a specific reason you buy Look pedals. Leightweight and a tad less fumbling on clippin in.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Campagnolo record for reliability. Expensive but they will never go wrong.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Shimano for reliability. Cheap and they will never go wrong.
  • Look keo 2 max for me. Light , adjustable, nice positive clip in , smooth bearings and always hang for easy clipping in :D
  • 852Kompol
    852Kompol Posts: 67
    I second the Keo 2 Max pedals (no, don't go for the dark side of carbon blade) the adjustability is very nice to have.

I am on the dark side if you need to know....on the Carbon blade 2 with Ti axel (16nm springs), I still love the Keo2Max, but the blade fits me better( the wider platform reduces my foot pain quite a bit), and of course the Bling
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Speedplay Zero. I had Keo Look for years and was sceptical about speedplay when a ride buddy moved to them. Having followed suit a few years ago I wouldn't use anything else now. Easy to clip in and out by being double sided and cleat covers prolong the life of the cleats. The ability to dial in or out as much float as you want also suits.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • fenix
    How long do you get from the cleats?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shimano.

Pedals themselves are virtually indestructible, cleat life is excellent and cheap to replace. They are also easier to walk in than Look.
  • mrb123
    Fenix wrote:
    How long do you get from the cleats?

With the Keep on Kovers I can't see why the cleats shouldn't last a hell of a long time as they are totally protected from any wear caused by walking around in them.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Speedplay are fantastic bike fit tools, but awful pedals. I rebuild mine at least twice a year, but have to stick with them 'cos I need the super short spindles they do. If you don't need Speedplays, stick with Shimano, fantastic pedals.

I also see a lot of people use them and then reduce their float massively because (this is easily done on the cleats) they don't like how their heels kick in or whatever. If your heels are kicking in and using the float to do so, you probably have an issue somewhere in the bike/rider interface, muscle recruitment or flexibility issue (etc) and you should fix it, not get rid of your float. If there is to be lateral movement you want it to happen at the pedal shoe interface. There is also tibial rotation at the bottom of the pedal stroke in any case, so low/zero float is bad for pretty much everyone.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    ollie51 wrote:
    There is also tibial rotation at the bottom of the pedal stroke in any case, so low/zero float is bad for pretty much everyone.
    Can’t agree. Even if your pedals have float, you don’t actually use it during each pedal stroke. You just adjust your heel angle from time to time.

You may think you’re using the float in the pedal stroke, but you are almost certainly not. The friction is too high. Likewise with flat pedals and trainers (no clips). Your feet stay still.

Float is still important for average cyclists, especially with Look or Shimano systems on which it is nearly impossible to precisely position the cleat. It allows you to find a comfy heel angle out on the road.

I think the old Look Delta system is as good as anything, and the pedals are a lot more durable than the featherweight options available now.
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    You may think you’re using the float in the pedal stroke, but you are almost certainly not. The friction is too high. Likewise with flat pedals and trainers (no clips). Your feet stay still.

Not on Speedplays, which is the whole point. Some people don't ever get on with speedplays because of the pedalling on ice sensation, but I and my knees love the speedplays on my Dolan. Would not consider any other pedal for serious quick going, even/especially in commuting given the double sidedness. But a bit of a steep learning curve* and the cleats are spendy and made of cheese: keep on covers are mandatory (the new versions have an equivalent cover thing that performs the same function). Mine have lasted 3500 km in all weathers with keep on covers (although I've replaced those once). Have not had any issues with maintenance; a squirt of PTFE lube in the cleats every other week or so and adjusting the cleat plate screws as needed (about every month in my experience after the lock-tite wears out). Supposedly you're meant to regrease the pedals every once in a while, but I've never gotten around to it. :oops:

* guaranteed to get a pshaw or ten, but engaging/disengaging the cleat is a radically different action to what you're used to: practice a lot near a soft surface.
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Thanks for that explanation of the Speedplays, Dyrlac.
  • jimmocrates
    jimmocrates Posts: 131
    I've been riding with speedplay zeros for 2 years now and love them. The cleats are £35ish, so not cheap, but done lots of miles in that time so work out as ok value (with coffee shop covers). I have greased the pedals etc as advised, but nowhere near as much as you are supposed to and they feel fine.
    Only word of warning is that they are incredibly stiff to begin with and take a bit of a breaking in period (dry lube helps with this)
  • fenix
    OK plumped for speedplay. Logically I should have gone for Shimano I think but I've had 30 years of looks so fancy a change. Plus they look like lollipops - so that'll amuse me.

I'm sure I'll be cursing / raving about them in the next few weeks.

Thanks people.
  • mrb123
    You won't be disappointed
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Fenix wrote:
    OK plumped for speedplay. Logically I should have gone for Shimano I think but I've had 30 years of looks so fancy a change. Plus they look like lollipops - so that'll amuse me.

I'm sure I'll be cursing / raving about them in the next few weeks.

Thanks people.

They're fantastic and if you ever end up having to set off on a steepish incline, you'll be glad of the simple and quick clipping in without having to spin the pedal to engage the cleat. Get the sole protectors too is your shoes are 4 hole and carbon soles.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • fenix
    Ta -they look like a good plan!
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I've been using speedplays for the last 8 months and love them. The keep on kovers are a must in my opinion. It's all quite expensive to begin with but has definitely felt worth it in the long run.