Removing stuck seatpost

brit66
brit66 Posts: 350
edited May 2016 in Workshop
Yes, it's carbon and yes, has been in same position for years.

I tried the hot/cold water method to try to expand/contract the aluminium frame, but no luck. Although admittedly it was a pretty half-hearted attempt.

I was thinking of trying penetrating oil but am skeptical this will ever reach down the full length of the seatpost inside the frame downtube.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    I've just removed a stuck aluminium post from a carbon frame by cutting horizontally across, then two cuts down the seatpost, break the post and pull out.

Probably be easier with a carbon post: the post will be easier to cut and you don't have to worry about cutting into a carbon frame.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    If you go down the pentrating fluid route, take the BB out youll likely find theres a hole where the tube goes, squirt penetrating oil down the sides of that tube an leave it overnight, youll know if its worked youll have fluid that will have ran out the seat post. Mentioned in the Velonews link Nick posted, done that with a few stuck seatposts usually does the trick.

Also dont know what your using but a good penetrating fluid is a must WD40 isnt cut out for it.
  • brit66
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I will try the penetrating oil option first as it's the cheapest option. However I can't add the oil from the BB as well because the BB has a sleeve around it.

If it needs cutting I think I will take it to my LBC as I'm not confident I won't screw it up. I also noticed in one of the links provided that someone doesn't recommend cutting carbon - but I assume this is because of the nature of the material (i.e. danger of splinters) rather than anything else.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's recommended that you don't inhale the dust, but carbon's surprisingly easy to saw through.

Don't think that penetrating oil will make much difference to a carbon post stuck in an alloy frame or vice versa. It's the aluminium corrosion that expands to fill any voids between the two materials and makes removal extremely difficult.

I have both combinations; alu post in the carbon framed bike and carbon post in the alu framed one. I remove them at least every 6 months for a quick wipe and reapplication of a bit of carbon assembly paste. This has the dual benefits of deterring corrosion, and making them much less susceptible to slipping.
  • brit66
    It's recommended that you don't inhale the dust, but carbon's surprisingly easy to saw through.

Don't think that penetrating oil will make much difference to a carbon post stuck in an alloy frame or vice versa. It's the aluminium corrosion that expands to fill any voids between the two materials and makes removal extremely difficult.

I have both combinations; alu post in the carbon framed bike and carbon post in the alu framed one. I remove them at least every 6 months for a quick wipe and reapplication of a bit of carbon assembly paste. This has the dual benefits of deterring corrosion, and making them much less susceptible to slipping.

With hindsight I would have removed the post as well from time-to-time. I will do this with my new bike.

I only want to raise the saddle by say, a centimeter :(
  • ~20 years ago I removed a stuck seatpost inside my old Peugeot 531 frame by turning the bike upside down and pouring most of a can of coke into the hole on the underside of the seat tube. Left it for >24 hours, then turned bike right way up again, gently hit the saddle further into the tube with a mallet and piece of wood to loosen the post and then it came out easily.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Pour your penetrating oil of choice through the seat tube bottle cage threaded hole.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    The Seatpost Man: http://www.theseatpostman.com/
    will get it out no problem - not cheap but better than having to buy a new frame. He's removed a few for our customers and never failed even when they have been quite bad
  • brit66
    Pour your penetrating oil of choice through the seat tube bottle cage threaded hole.
    Thanks. I'll try this.
    will get it out no problem - not cheap but better than having to buy a new frame. He's removed a few for our customers and never failed even when they have been quite bad
    Never heard of this before but good to know as a last resort. Thanks.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Subscribe!! Exactly the same issue, allu frame/carbon post.
    What are people suggesting is poured down the seat tube?

I've heard suggestions from coke, ACF50, ACF30 to Effetto Mariposa Carbomove.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Think Monty recommended AC90, being the best in his experience.
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    lpretro1 wrote:

Second recommendation for him from me - had a couple of customer bikes done, very good service.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Any luck?

After a day upside down filled with coke and no obvious movement I got impatient with mine. With much force it did move but sticking an Allen key through the holes in the seat post was only going to rip it apart and leave me stuck without a bike.

Now I don't own a vice and looking around the garage I was struggling to think what could give me the leverage needed, except maybe that spare frame hanging up on the wall.. oh. :lol:

IMG_4522-s_zpsb7i8yvyh.gif

50 minutes with two of us twisting away and it finally came out. Happy days.

Worth a try..
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    That's almost genius. Or is it crazy. I'm not sure - but good work anyway.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It looks like bicycle sex to me! Leave them to it...

You might have a new unicycle in a few months
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW Coke contains phosphoric acid which doesn't do much for aluminium oxide - there are more effective solutions such as ACF30. Beware of excessive force and mechanical methods - I have seat tubes unpeeled like a Coke can!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..