Canyon bike selection help

Scott2341
Scott2341 Posts: 5
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I have been cycling for a year now, and really enjoying it!

I currently have a defy 2 2014 but I am looking to upgrade to a CANYON with a more race orientated geometry.

I am lucky enough to live near Canyon HQ in Germany so was able to try the bikes but I am stuck between two...

Either the;

ULTIMATE CF SL 7.0 or the ULTIMATE AL SLX 9.0.

While AL SLXs group set, wheels, seat post, seat are higher spec than the CF version I still am unsure whether the carbon frame would make more sense due to ride comfort and weight giving me the ability to upgrade later on.

I guess my question is will I truly feel a difference with group sets and wheel sets and which would you choose and why?

I would love to hear your opinions!

Comments

• Go for the one thats in stock and has immediate delivery
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Read the thread in the "General" thread before ordering
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Why have you selected canyon? Have you tried a nice carbon bike at your lbs?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Read the thread in the "General" thread before ordering

Looks as though delivery times are terrible.. :?
    Why have you selected canyon? Have you tried a nice carbon bike at your lbs?

I live around 30 mins away from Canyon in Koblenz,Germany, and the bikes are very well priced. From reading Forums here it seems the customer Service is not great.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    At least you live close enough to go and punch people when they let you down on delivery schedules.
  • bendertherobot
    If you live nearby and can collect/visit then go for it. Do they have a factory outlet as it were?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i cant say i could nt fault them BUT i dont see them as being that bad, certainly no worse than Canondale and all the bb30 issues that never get fixed, they did cost me a lot of money and time over a BB30 problem, never again.

Most people who have commented on this or other threads have never ordered a canyon, let only had a delivery delayed, just repeating hearsay.
  • If you live nearby and can collect/visit then go for it. Do they have a factory outlet as it were?

Yes, the Outlet is great, get to test ride all the bikes. They take all your measurements first and then adjust bikes accordingly.

My question still stands though with the aluminium vs carbon price comparison of the two Models. If any body owns a canyon or has experience with the different materials, I am all ears. :D

Cheers.
  • bendertherobot
    mamba80 wrote:
    i cant say i could nt fault them BUT i dont see them as being that bad, certainly no worse than Canondale and all the bb30 issues that never get fixed, they did cost me a lot of money and time over a BB30 problem, never again.

Most people who have commented on this or other threads have never ordered a canyon, let only had a delivery delayed, just repeating hearsay.

I ordered one, and it was just fine. I also have a BB30 Cannondale, and it's just fine.

It's not hearsay by the way, it's quite easy to extrapolate the information of there being an issue given that a) it's all over twitter b) the CEO has apologised and c) it's all over every bike forum and Facebook.

What we DON'T know is statically how much a of a problem there is.

Which kind of renders your objection to hearsay a little moot given that you cannot possibly say how many BB30 issues there are compared to how many Canyon issues there are.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    marcusjb wrote:
    At least you live close enough to go and punch people when they let you down on delivery schedules.

Love it!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    mamba80 wrote:

I ordered one, and it was just fine. I also have a BB30 Cannondale, and it's just fine.

It's not hearsay by the way, it's quite easy to extrapolate the information of there being an issue given that a) it's all over twitter b) the CEO has apologised and c) it's all over every bike forum and Facebook.

Which kind of renders your objection to hearsay a little moot given that you cannot possibly say how many BB30 issues there are compared to how many Canyon issues there are.

i dont comment unless i ve first hand experience but your spot on, if canyon have shipped 10,000 bikes with 200 delivery disasters, thats not so bad, if its 1000 failures.... i stand corrected!
    i suspect BB30 issues outnumber canyon ones, market volume and BB30 is used across a range of bikes.

as to which bike? i d go for the CF sl 7.0, as its possibly a better frame, Canyon do spend alot on RnD and rumour has it giant build their CF frames, i ve ridden a CF SL as a hire bike for 2 weeks and loved it, light and responsive.
    and wheels wear out, you can easily use the Aksiums as training wheels and upgrade to some nice Carbon tubs for nice summer days that you get in germany :)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    OP, Rose bikes shouldn't be too far from you either, try them, they seem to be better vfm and get good write ups etc.
    I have a Canyon Ultimate CF SL and I wouldn't deal with them at the moment.
  • bendertherobot
    mamba80 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

i dont comment unless i ve first hand experience but your spot on, if canyon have shipped 10,000 bikes with 200 delivery disasters, thats not so bad, if its 1000 failures.... i stand corrected!
    i suspect BB30 issues outnumber canyon ones, market volume and BB30 is used across a range of bikes.

as to which bike? i d go for the CF sl 7.0, as its possibly a better frame, Canyon do spend alot on RnD and rumour has it giant build their CF frames, i ve ridden a CF SL as a hire bike for 2 weeks and loved it, light and responsive.
    and wheels wear out, you can easily use the Aksiums as training wheels and upgrade to some nice Carbon tubs for nice summer days that you get in germany :)

You suspect?

It's not just delivery disasters. It's not delivering. That's the main issue, then failing to fix things that are broken. Have a read round the next. What we can't say is whether it's significant. The fact that the CEO had to go on record suggests that it is.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    mamba80 wrote:

Admittedly I haven't ordered a Canyon, but was about to until my mate did and he has been royally messed around. I then saw umpteen similar examples of their customer service both on here and other bike forums, then saw their CEO's apology, and decided to hold fire on my own order.

If I lived close to Koblenz I would potentially consider it worth the risk as physically turning up at their office could make the process easier, but I don't so won't be ordering with them for the foreseeable future.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    I just ordered a Canyon Endurace 9 CF and then...from reading experiences and thinking short and hard about it, cancelled the order.

I emailed around some local Giant dealers and managed to pick up a good deal on a Giant Defy Adv 1, no waiting, built and checked, cheaper, disc brakes. I think the only falling point is the wheels aren't quite as light and bling but I am happy with that decision.
  • herc264
    herc264 Posts: 14
    I bought a ULTIMATE AL SLX 9.0 SL this time last year. It turned up bang on time (about 4 weeks after I ordered it) and I love it. I may have been lucky but my experience has been 100% positive.
  • Update: The order for my ULTIMATE AL SLX 9.0 has come 1 week before due .. Very pleased
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Always get the best frameset you can afford, it makes much more difference than the groupset, which you can always upgrade later. An in particular the frame on the Canyon CF is excellent.
  • Personally I'd go for the carbon frame. The equipment on the aliminium is bound to better for similar money but the equipment is also the stuff that's easiest to upgrade if you ever want to.

When you buy a bike you want the money to be in the frame>group set>finishing kit>wheels in that order. Wheels are usually the first upgrade, finishing kit often gets changed in order to make the bike fit you. The frame and groupset is what you want to last.

A friend of mine has the cf SL 7.0 and loves it dearly. He even won a race on it with some slightly upgraded wheels - ksyrium elites. You have the of both world's in that you can take advantage of canyons value and still live close enough that you can get any problems sorted in store!
  • yertez
    yertez Posts: 80
    Bought my Canyon CF 9.0 SL - came when they said it would and haven't had any issues with it.
    (It was quite a long delivery time)

Took delivery in May 2015.

Love the bike - very quick up the hills.