Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection - worth it?

BobbyShazam
BobbyShazam Posts: 6
edited April 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Firstly I'm not really interested in recommendations of other types of polish/wax etc as I want to save money and just use what I've got.

I've been using the basic Auto Glym for cars on my bike frame, obviously it comes up nice and shiny but I'm more interested in making it easier to clean and doing it this way is making it harder for mud and grime to stick which I'm happy with so far.

Rummaging around in my garage, I found some Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection and when I used to use it on my car the bodywork would look fantastic for longer.

Now I'm generally a "if isn't broken don't try to fix it", so does anyone know if putting the EGP on the frame as well will make it harder for mud to stick or at least extend how long the original Auto Glym will help keep it off for? I know some people say AG products are overpriced but obviously I already have them now.

TIA

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    EGP is for use over Super Resin Polish, you only need the tiniest amount, a few sprays on a cloth will probably do most of your bike.

Does it work on a bike??? Can't see why not, I used it on my old T5 transporter and it is good stuff, makes the shine last a lot longer and van was very easy to clean - 18 months later a quick wash/dry and a quick coat of SRP had it looking like new again.

Personally I wouldn't bother but seeing as you have it might as well, just use extremely sparingly or it will be a bugger to get off
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Polishing an MTB frame, is this serious?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    + many muddy potatoes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    Polish protects the paint and stops mud & grime sticking to it as much making it easier to clean.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Polishing an MTB frame, is this serious?

No, I'm only joking.
  • JGTR wrote:
    Polish protects the paint and stops mud & grime sticking to it as much making it easier to clean.

Cheers, I figured that from how well the Auto Glym works - I'm more interested the Extra Gloss Protection really.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    April Fool's Day was Friday.

It's a mountain bike: It gets dirty, you wash it. Repeat.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Wow, thank you for such a helpful and awesome welcome.
  • JGTR
    JGTR wrote:

Cheers, I figured that from how well the Auto Glym works - I'm more interested the Extra Gloss Protection really.

Wasn't talking to you.

I have already posted about EGP in response to your original post but you obviously haven't been bothered to read it.
  • Jesus what a bunch of miserable stroppy bastards.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Not stroppy, Bobby.

It just seems a very odd first post. Mountain bikes are intended to get dirty. Extra glossy polish really won't make any difference. It's not as if a bike is difficult to clean. It's just mud. Make it wet and it comes off really easily, whether the bike has been polished or not.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I only use polish/wax on my road bike (much aeros) makes the road grime easier to clean off plus means I can use a speed detailer to clean up after dry rides. Prefer Meguiars over Auto Glym though always find it goes powdery.
  • JGTR
    I use polish on my MTB, not very often but if I'm doing a deep clean it helps remove the grime and as my bike is gloss black it brings the shine back up.....only takes 5 mins, there really isn't that much to polish!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use it on my car but it would be pointless on a mountain bike. It's not intended for protection against gritty mud. It protects the resin polish and provides a seal to keep your car shiny for longer.
    My downhill bike is now three years old, I use it in all conditions and the paintwork scrubs up good. Bicycle frame paint is very different stuff to the high gloss paint used on cars which does need protection.
    It does a great job of keeping my car looking extremely shiny for longer but about three washes and the effects are gone. My paintwork is pearlescent with multi coloured metallic so a bit of time polishing is definitely worthwhile.
    Do you ride off road?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Fenwicks do (or did) a protective spray for bike frames which claims to do exactly the same as the AutoGlym stuff (nice shiny finish, makes dirt easier to clean off).
    I got a big can of the stuff in a goody bag from an MTB race. We joked at the time how it makes you go faster when you get it on your rotors...
    I gave it a go on my road bike but can't say I noticed much difference.