Saris bones 2

velohutts
velohutts Posts: 288
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
Does anyone use/have one ?

What are your thoughts on it? Halfords have them at a reasonable price if there are positive replies will pick one up next week.

Thanks in advance.
Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I have the solo rig... yes for £30 or whatever it makes for bike transporting a lot easier when car is fully laden inside.
    Takes 2 minutes to fit and stack the bike and ready to go. With wheels on or off. Surprisingly rock solid throughout a 3 hour A- road journey.
    As ever though, if you can stash the bike inside, the better for it...
    Just for mind comfort sake, take the inside facing pedal off.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    The solo is quite different to the Bones 2 and 3. I've just bought a 3, and I'm really pleased with it.

My old car had a towbar so I had a Thule rack, and it was simple to put on and rock solid; didn't see a wobble at all even at motorway speed & going round corners. The Bones is the only strap mounted rack I've seen that comes close. Straps are easy to tighten hard at the Bones part have loads of adjustment so you can get a really wide stance which makes it very secure. Rubber feet and really chunky so shouldn't mark paintwork.

The only weakness is the lower (third) strap point for each bike is quite high, so your bike will wobble even if the rack doesn't. I rectify this by using extra ratchet straps at the bottom. I also ratchet strap the cranks and front wheel to the bike - I don't like to see any wobbling in my rear mirror!

I would thoroughly recommend.
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    I've been using the Bones 2 for a couple of years and really rate it. I've done a couple of trips down to Italy with two bikes on it, and it's easy to load and rock-steady at 90mph+. Solid piece of kit.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Friend made a mess of her black Merc paintwork with the foot - some dirt got in. I have to say that I don't like the concept of feet on paint.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    I've had one for a couple of months its good, stick some 3m helicopter tape on the boot 'lip' to protect the paint. Just watch out if you have a spoiler on the back, two of the straps hang onto it and could damage it. If you have 2 bikes I might be tempted to get the bones 3 just to give you some more room.
  • marpick
    marpick Posts: 49
    Yep, have had one for a year now and love it, most secure rack I've used! No longer am I looking in the rear view mirror to check that the bikes are still there!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I have one, used it half a dozen times or so. No problems whatsoever, seems rock solid every time I strap it to the car.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Beware of wobble! My bike wobbled until I adjusted the straps but by then the damage was done. Carbon forks rubbed through the paint and primer layers to show nice black carbon fibre. I wrapped any part of the frame that was in contact with something else but it still rubbed through the fork. I'm switching to a towbar mounted carrier now.
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    Thanks all, going to pick one up at the weekend.
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !