Recommendations please

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
I've currently got a Trek 3700 which I use to go to the pub, for rides in the park/woods with kids and whenever I need to tie a bike to s lamppost basically.

It's bloody heavy and slow though and I'd like something lighter and faster that can cope with woods and broken ground. I've got a hybrid already and will be getting a Croix de Fer in the next 12 months.

So, basically can anyone recommend a good trail bike or suchlike that I can buy second hand which isn't sluggish and heavy please? I don't really need suspension tbh.

Cheers

Edit: forgot to say I will be using it for cat sitting, ie driving between houses around Tooting and surrounding area, prob some trips will be 10 miles or so. I use my other bike for this too but sometimes need mudguards, shortcuts through woods, leave outside locked up and not worry too much about it.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited April 2016
    Have a look for a Voodoo Marasa, it has rigid fork but is basically a rigid 29er mountain bike sold with Hybrid tyres, you could put on some narrow and light XC tyres and it would preform well on road and off, they sell for about £300 new and about £150 used.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • joelsim
    That may be the sort of thing. Maybe even the Islabikes Beinn 29.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • supersonic
    Also, is the hybrid you have an option? Bigger tyres on it maybe?
  • joelsim
    supersonic wrote:
    Also, is the hybrid you have an option? Bigger tyres on it maybe?

Already have 35s on that, I'd like something with MTB tyres.

Budget is as little as possible which would be an improvement on my Trek. It'll be tied to many lampposts so won't be spending on a new one. I'll get a new Croix de Fer later in the year as I won't be leaving it outside.

Ideally £200 ish.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at the Marasa.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    I agree the Marasa, or some rigid forked MTB that occasionally come up for sale. A third option would be to spend the money on the Trek - £200 will knock a lot of weight of it. The frames are pretty good on these, a rigid fork, lightweight tyres/tubes, foam grips etc would probably get it lighter than a new Croix de Fer!
  • joelsim
    I'll have a look at the Marasa.

Anyone got any thoughts on an Orange Crush 2nd hand or something like that?
  • supersonic
    Tough bikes, not particularly light though - I'd say it was overkill for you planned riding. And you'd have to up your budget from £200 to get one.
  • joelsim
    Thanks very much for all the replies. I've actually gone for this. A bit more than I intended spending but what's new there!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/191845934233

Picking up on Wednesday :D