Campagnolo Power Meters - Stages or Power2Max

cmcdonnell
cmcdonnell Posts: 97
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I've been waiting for the Campy Stages PM but it's been put back till the end of May now in the UK so am considering the Power2Max Type S 2015 but am not sure the accuracy is brilliant at that price point. Anyone got any experience of Power2Max vs Stages? I can't afford SRM and all the other crank based options I've looked at are just plain ugly. Not sure if I should wait for the stages or just get the Power2Max. I don't like power pedals and don't want a powerhub and I want something that will look good on my Super Record equipped bike.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If you want a powermeter for one bike, I'd get a P2M. I'm not sure where you've got the notion they are not accurate, P2M have a good reputation and it's worth reading the full DCRaimaker review..
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/03/the- ... eview.html

In summary.. "When looking at the Power2max, there’s little question it’s a reliable unit that does the job well. "
  • Hi, not saying the P2M is not accurate but they quote 2% like Stages compared to 1% from SRM and I was wondering if it was still good value at £1465 today compared to £2170 for the SRM. the Stages will retail at £899 for 2% accuracy. I will be transferring it from summer to winter bike but changing a Ultra-Torque crankset over is no more challenging than a crank arm to be honest and give a chance to re oil the bearings.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Note all the issues with stages. Wouldn't buy one for half the price.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Note all the issues with stages. Wouldn't buy one for half the price.

Ditto

Have you considered a Quarq?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • No I think the quarq looks too ugly, infocrank too and I want it to match a campy gs
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Stages is an overpriced joke of a product. P2M is solid. Choice is yours.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    stages is brilliant, however im looking at moving to a p2m
  • Grill
    spasypaddy wrote:

You're going to be in for a shock when you see what real data with no dropouts is like, especially if you're asymmetric (like most people). Can't wait to dump my track Stages for another P2M.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I have an SRAM Quarq Red 22 power meter with my Campagnolo Chorus setup, works just fine
    Can't see cranks when I'm on the bike. Shifts just fine.
  • I have Fsa Kforce Power2max on my wilier with super record.

It's actually back in Germany just now as it's creaked from new so I can't comment on reliability just now but it's a nice piece of kit.

Hopefully should be back on the road with it next week.
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    I had a Campagnolo Power2Max 4 bolt crank and it did this from new https://vimeo.com/161384885

Power2Max said that the movement was 'within normal range', and 'comparable to others that we checked in our workshop, although they might be able to find one with a bit less movement'... absolute joke, I sent it back for a refund.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Had a Quarq for 12 months, it's been faultless.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Had a Quarq for 12 months, it's been faultless.

Happy for you. My Campag one was shite, more play in it than Barcelona.
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    Grill wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

You're going to be in for a shock when you see what real data with no dropouts is like, especially if you're asymmetric (like most people). Can't wait to dump my track Stages for another P2M.

What are your thoughts on P2M vs Infocrank considering the Infocrank is £920 with BC discount?
  • Grill
    Infocrank is a good product with solid data but is ugly as sin and choice is limited.
  • Agree 100% with Grill. The infocrank seems a great product and offers the best accuracy for the money but it's fugly.
    I really wanted the P2M but can't justify the cost so have preordered a Stages from LBS. loads have Stages in my club and most are happy
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I quite like the look of the infocrank with the Praxis chainrings, but it is heavy. Changed to SRAM Etap today, so no more Campagnolo for me (except the cassette).
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    have been loaned a stages version 2 and also own a power 2 max. the P2m is very reliable and reports consistent accurate data. it is excellent at telling me I'm rubbish! :)

the stages also does weirdly, it hasn't dropped out once yet. it'll be put to use in a race on Saturday.