Best tight (race) fit jerseys for climbing?

h.m.s.salty
h.m.s.salty Posts: 43
edited April 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for a good aero jersey that is also decent for climbing, any advice? I've been looking at Castelli's offering but I'm a bit weary of the price at the moment.
I'm looking to be ideally spending around £50-60 for this jersey as funds are limited.
Any help given is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Swerve the Castelli ones. Overpriced. Check out dhb they do some tight and thin aeron jerseys. They won't help you climb mind you.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Bioracer, or any of the brands that use them. Stolen Goat Ibex is great kit.
  • I just bought a Castelli Climbers Jersey from Probike kit. £40 delivered. They only have white left at that price though.
    Definitely ticks the lightweight and race fit boxes.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Lol really? How much advantage do you think this jersey is going to give you?? Get one that fits you, is comfortable, matches your bike and other kit aesthetically (most important bit) and go and ride your bike.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Just get the Aeron Speed one. Or even the Aero one, it's tight enough.

http://roubaixcycling.cc/2016/03/22/dhb ... 1-jerseys/
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Lol really? How much advantage do you think this jersey is going to give you?? Get one that fits you, is comfortable, matches your bike and other kit aesthetically (most important bit) and go and ride your bike.

^^ this.

Either way, I'm struggling to see how a jersey would be 'decent for climbing', unless it has a propeller on the back, or something...
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I'm also relatively unconvinced about whether aero jerseys benefit hugely for the majority. So whilst I loved the Aeron Speed jersey I doubt it would ever have made me faster. I liked the fact that it was form fitting and seemed suited to warm temps that you might get while climbing. But the other "non aero" jersey was similarly form and would have been marginally better for venting.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    It'll make eff-all difference for climbing (the aero advantage from being tight is only going to be significant at flat-riding speeds), but for what it's worth I love my Castelli Climber's Jerseys. That's just down to fit though - nice and tight and just the right length, not made out of an overly stretchy material that makes the pockets sag when loaded, good zips.. But if the fit isn't right for you something else will be better. The climber's jersey seems to be made to fit the climber's physique, nothing extra around the waist and skinny arms.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Imposter wrote:
    Either way, I'm struggling to see how a jersey would be 'decent for climbing', unless it has a propeller on the back, or something...

Now there's an idea....!
  • -free-shipping-CPAM-Halloween-Christmas-used-New-Sumo-Wrestler-Inflatable-Fancy-Dress-Costume-Suit.jpg

Fill with helium, might give you some lift
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Maybe OP is after a thin, or maximally ventilated jersey, that would not flap on descents on a hot day
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    mamil314 wrote:
    Maybe OP is after a thin, or maximally ventilated jersey, that would not flap on descents on a hot day

Yebbut, that is fine, but that won't help you go up the hill quicker.

Wear the propeller jersey up the hills, but make sure you have your descending jersey in the team car ready for maximum benefit on the downhills.
  • mamil314 wrote:
    Finally, someone who figured it... I am very skinny, 6'3 and weigh about 63kg so what I wanted was someone to understand that I wanted a close fitting jersey because "normal" ones do flap about too much in the wind and descents and it annoys the heck outta me! Climbers jerseys are also really well vented, something I'm after as I always get too hot on the climbs
    I appreciate the kind comments, less so the straight up abusive ones so cheers guys for your input on one of my first posts to this forum...
  • mamil314 wrote:
    Finally, someone who figured it... I am very skinny, 6'3 and weigh about 63kg so what I wanted was someone to understand that I wanted a close fitting jersey because "normal" ones do flap about too much in the wind and descents and it annoys the heck outta me! Climbers jerseys are also really well vented, something I'm after as I always get too hot on the climbs
    I appreciate the kind comments, less so the straight up abusive ones so cheers guys for your input on one of my first posts to this forum...

LOL! Lot of luddites on here Salty.

Just don't try asking for recovery drink recommendations :lol:

• LOL! Lot of luddites on here Salty.

Just don't try asking for recovery drink recommendations :lol:

I don't think I'll have to wonder why people are afraid of trying to enter the road cycling crowd anymore, cheers for that
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,140
    was just about to respond on those lines when you posted

i'd consider the castelli aero race/similar

i've got the aero race 5.0, it's skin tight (assuming you get the right size) and breathes extremely well, for hot days/climbs it's much more comfy than a standard weight jersey, although very llght, the pockets are excellent, no sag even loaded up, and no flap at all even at 80km/hr

as it's now last season there are probably a few around at discount, imho looks better than the new version too!

if you're fair skinned, the climber's jersey might be better as even though very light the back is spf15
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    If a climbing jersey doesn't come with a guaranteed KOM, I'm not interested.....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have just ordered one of these Castelli ones. I have the old Gamin logo one and it is lovely to wear when it is very warm (it fits very snug so size one up).
  • Will it hide my gut ? :lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Ha OP don't worry about the odd poke post I'd say this forum is by far the friendliest on the internet for cycling, like anything take it with a pinch of salt.

As for the jersey I'd say Castelli all the way and as I'm finding out tight fit is way better, I have a wardrobe of slightly too big kit.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    marcusjb wrote:
    mamil314 wrote:

Yebbut, that is fine, but that won't help you go up the hill quicker.

Wear the propeller jersey up the hills, but make sure you have your descending jersey in the team car ready for maximum benefit on the downhills.

I don't know, Marcus, i hated my Gabba for a few minutes yesterday when climbing Ditchling beacon under sun and no wind between trees. Loved it for the rest of the day when flying down the hills and in the drizzle ^_^
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If you're after an aero jersey and don't mind a bit of last year's team branding Prendas were knocking out Belkin team issue ones for £20 odd a few weeks ago.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Try Castelli café site , they have an outlet/sale bit .
  • fenix
    How much climbing do you do HMS Salty ? And usually each climb comes with a matching descent. Unless you're somewhere warm any lightweight meshy climbing jersey which will be good for the climbs (of how long ?) will be very cold on the downhills and again too cold on the flat.

Just get a normal tight one and unzip as you climb.
  • Fenix wrote:
    How much climbing do you do HMS Salty ?

The climbing I do varies, but normal it's 3 to 4 quite hard climbs followed by undulating terrain. The hard climbs always have a descent but always kick back up into a small climb
  • fenix
    I do think there's a lot of marketing budget coming into play here too. Rapha selling their climbers jerseys etc. For 96% of rides in the UK you'd be too bloody cold !
  • Fenix wrote:
    I do think there's a lot of marketing budget coming into play here too. Rapha selling their climbers jerseys etc. For 96% of rides in the UK you'd be too bloody cold !

I think we all know this but it is still nice to have decent kit especially for the one week a year when it is hot in this country or when travelling abroad.

Or maybe we should get our Nan's to crochet a couple of pockets into the back of our string vests.
  • fenix
    That reminds me - where IS my crochet vest that I bought specifically for that weeks riding in the south of france !?