Racing Quattro help

Lord Jimmy 7th
Lord Jimmy 7th Posts: 379
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Hi, got these last year for a new build. Have not ridden in them much but since th
E first ride there are a few issues with putting the power down either in increasing speed or when limping out of the saddle. The wheels move from side to side and hit against the brake blocks??? I'm not sure if it is the bearings that need adjusting or the spokes. Anyone have any suggestions??

Comments

• Depending on your weight that shouldn't really be happening.... even if you run the pads close to the rims.

I never had any flex when I was around 95kg's.

Are the wheels new (when you first got them)?

Feel for any loose spokes, it shouldn't really be present as if one is loose then the wheel wouldn't be 100% true.

If your weight isn't exceptionally high, and you're not Chris Hoy with the power then I would look at the bearings.
  • Ok thanks. Yeah bought new from wiggle. I'm around the 95kg mark. Not massive on the power so will look specifically at the spokes again and/or look at the bearings. Is it just tightening that screw on the axle for the bearings or something more complex?
  • Ok thanks. Yeah bought new from wiggle. I'm around the 95kg mark. Not massive on the power so will look specifically at the spokes again and/or look at the bearings. Is it just tightening that screw on the axle for the bearings or something more complex?
    sorry to be stating the obvious but have you made sure that the skewers are tight enough?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    Sounds like the preload may need adjusting.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Yup double checked the skewers as I had an embarrassing problem with not doing them tight enough before. I'll have a read on adjusting the preload then ask thanks.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Unless the bearing preload is so slack to the point that the wheels rock side to side with hand movement, then it won't be that.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Just about every wheel will do that in terms of flex. But if the cones are loose, you will feel some slack at the same time.
  • dabber
    Imposter wrote:
    Unless the bearing preload is so slack to the point that the wheels rock side to side with hand movement, then it won't be that.

I suggested the preload as a few weeks ago I started to get a knocking and rubbing from my front wheel (Quattro) when out of the saddle. I stopped and inspected the bearings area and found the little screw that holds the preload in place had loosened and the preload disc had started to unscrew itself. Fixed in a minute.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I am just under 14 stone and even under full on sprinting I do not feel any flexing, pretty stiff wheels if you ask me.

I can push them laterally to the blocks with my hands but they don't seem to budge under cycling load.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Dabber wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

I suggested the preload as a few weeks ago I started to get a knocking and rubbing from my front wheel (Quattro) when out of the saddle. I stopped and inspected the bearings area and found the little screw that holds the preload in place had loosened and the preload disc had started to unscrew itself. Fixed in a minute.

There should not be any preload on bicycle wheel bearings.
  • dabber
    I've only known it as the "pre-load" but perhaps that's wrong.... anyway the bit I mean is RS-012.

This is the bit http://www.bicyclehero.com/gb/fulcrum-rs-012-hub-adjustable-sleeve.html

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,161
    ^I've had a lot of problems keeping this bit at the right tension with my rear quattro, seems to work loose easily and end up with the OPs problem.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Dabber wrote:
    I've only known it as the "pre-load" but perhaps that's wrong.... anyway the bit I mean is RS-012.

This is the bit http://www.bicyclehero.com/gb/fulcrum-rs-012-hub-adjustable-sleeve.html

£38! :shock:
  • dabber
    keef66 wrote:
    Dabber wrote:

£38! :shock:

Yes, I thought that... horrendous :shock: If I needed to buy one I'd shop around a bit.
    I just posted the link to show the photo of the part I was trying to describe. The slight worry is that the little screw arrangement doesn't seem very robust and I think it could be easy to strip the thread. I suspect that he reason mine had loosened off was that I had been a bit tentative in tightening the little screw to lock it in place.

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd definitely bugger up something as delicate as that. Happy with my old school cone spanners :D
  • Have adjusted that little screw, not exactly the easiest thing to get in the right place I think, have to see if it's any better next time I take it out.
  • dabber
    Have adjusted that little screw, not exactly the easiest thing to get in the right place I think, have to see if it's any better next time I take it out.

The little screw isn't the adjustment. You tighten it once you have adjusted the round cap/plate to remove sideways movement. So, loosen the little screw. Screw in the round plate until sideways movement is removed with causing it to bind, then tighten the little screw to hold it in place. Hope that makes sense.

• Yeah I did that bit but it wasn't the easiest to hold in place and rescrew once I moved it, unless it's easier to do with the wheel out?