Campag Ultra torque spring clip?

2»

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Loose chainring bolts do just that... I suspect that was the problem... the bolt keeps together both rings, so I don't understand your comment...

I've got the new 4 leg chainset, each chainring is held on by 4 torx bolts - 8 bolts total hence they're independently secured.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I believe your theory about simple greasing could be correct, drlodge. I've noticed exactly the same creak or clunk on two of my bikes - one with Chorus, the other with Record. The noise develops perhaps once a year and is noticeable when starting off or climbing hills.

The solution is really easy. I take off the non-driveside crank and clean out and thoroughly grease the outside of the bearing and the inside of the cup. I just use regular Finish Line or Weldtite bike grease. I also grease the teeth of the Hirth joint and put plenty of copper grease on the cup threads and the threaded insert in the carbon frames. No need to do anything to driveside crank. I've used this technique for eight or nine years.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,108
    I am at a loss here. Perhaps over tightening causes the grease to be displaced. Perhaps over tightening causes premature bearing failure? Has anyone tried to tighten them to the minimum? 46nm is more than enough.
    I have had 5 different UT chainsets on 3 different bikes with 3 different BB widths. NONE of them have ever creaked and I have just replaced a standard c'set on my Wilier with a compact. The previous c'set on the Wilier was on and untouched for 4 years.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Over tightening the Hirth joint won't displace grease or cause bearing failure, since its just tightening the joint. The wavy washer takes all the preload.

I posted a reply to this in a related thread viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13062389&start=29
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava