New frame advice

Poftie
Poftie Posts: 10
edited April 2016 in MTB buying advice
I bought a Fuji Addy 2015 hardtail back in January as a commuter bike that i wanted to talk off road a little.

From the little bit of off road i did i got the MTB bug and have ended up using it almost solely as a trail bike which it really isn't all that suited for. To compensate i've upgraded the brakes, forks, rear mech, shifter, cassette (9 to 10 gear rear), added a dropper post and a few other small bits so that it can cope better with that i'm throwing at it.

I'm now starting to think about going full suss, because the frame is not recommended for jumping and i just want to upgrade to full.
Because i've upgraded most the parts on my bike, spent around £700 on the upgrade, i'm wanting to just change out the frame but i'm not sure how difficult that will be? i've done most of the upgrades myself so have some mechanical knowhow and am willing to just give things a go, watch a few youtube videos etc. Also don't mind getting an actual mechanic to do some of the more difficult bits.

So, any suggestions for 27.5 frames that come in small sizes (i'm just under 5" so the smaller the better. Current bike is a 14", could go a little bigger if need be) Ideally compatible with my existing 100m fork as I only bought it a couple months ago and like it. Disk brake mounts and under £1000 ideally. Can stretch the budget a little for the perfect frame. I don't mind going second hand, but hardly ever see the small frames coming up.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    A Giant Anthem Frame in XS possibly? If you are going to be sticking with the 100mm fork though, you won't really find a frame that is made for jumping...
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You are right that there aren't too many xs full sussers out there. And you also need to make sure it is compatible with your parts ie fork steerer length and type, seat post, rear axle, derailer fittings and so on.

I would actually look for a complete bike - you can swap parts in that are better on what you have got, then sell the Fuji. Or sell it first and up the budget. Frame only tends to be poor value really. That said, there is this:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-an ... oCD83w_wcB

Though the 39cm could be too large.
  • supersonic
    Beaten too it, the Anthem is great value.
  • Poftie
    Thanks. I had looked at the Anthem but couldn't see an xs size on their website, just the small which is 16" and would be to big. It might just be the 2016 doesn't come in xs maybe? cause that 2015 one is 15.3in. might still be a little big, but more possible, and a nice price!

As for the jumping, i'm not planning to do much at all, just little ones on the trails, i just dont feel like my current frame would be safe to take the wheels off the ground at all with being how cheap i was (£340). Its more that i want something that i don't need to be worried about if i do hit anything on the trails. I always prefer to air on the side of caution and be overbiked instead of pushing them to their limits.

I had considered going for a full bike, but was worried i'd get less for my money, if its the other way round and that frames are worse value then i'll have another look. Any suggestions?
    I've got some of the old parts i took off the Fuji, but some were so naff i just got rid of them cause i knew i'd never use them again.

Thanks guys :)
  • Poftie
    Having a look at this - https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/nerve/ ... 0-wmn.html Canyon Nerve womens frame.

Anyone know if its any good? Looks to have reasonable spec for the price, and is roughly similar spec to what i've got on my current bike now so i wouldn't actually have to swap out that much and might be able to sell the Fuji as a half decent bike, and certainly as a much better bike than how i bought it!
  • supersonic
    They are often better value - for example can pick a full Anthem up for £950. Unfortunately not in XS sizes. Do you run your seatpost at the bottom on your current bike?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Jumping doesn't really put much stress on the frame. Almost any mountain bike frame is fine for smaller jumps and as a relative beginner, you're hardly going to be hitting anything big. Hitting square edge rocks is much tougher on frames.
    The Giant Anthem is excellent and absolutely bombproof. I gave my old one some real abuse including a couple enduro races and some decent size (15 foot gap) jumps.
  • Poftie
    supersonic wrote:
    Do you run your seatpost at the bottom on your current bike?

I have a 125m Reverb dropper on it. I pedal at the full extension of the post but don't feel comfortable getting on or off with the seat up that hight because of the angle of the top tube. When the seat is up the stand over heigh is just high. So when coming to a stop i pop the seat down and can stand/sit over the seat.

I've just seen this the Canyon Nerve (https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/nerve/ ... 0-wmn.html) which seems to be pretty good spec wise for the price. Anyone know if they are decent?
  • Poftie
    I've tried replying a couple of times and it's not worked fingers crossed it does this time :/

Anyway,

My current seat post is a 125m reverb which is as far down as it can go in the frame. I pedal usually near or at the top of the extension of the post 125m) but am not comfortable getting on or off the bike with the saddle that high cause of the top tube angle being so steep. So I always drop the seat for on and off. I can stand over the saddle when the post is all the way down.

I've just been looking at Canyon bikes, most seem to come in xs and seem to be pretty good spec for the price even on the lower end ones.
    The spectral has take my eye - https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/spectr ... l-5-0.html

Not keen on not being able to demo them though. The general reviews look good though :)