Removal of Squirt Lube

laurentian
laurentian Posts: 2,508
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Having used this throughout last summer, I just can't get on with it . . . seems to make my chain clunky and harbour lumps of black gunk.

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove it from my chain completely so that I can revert to normal lube?
Wilier Izoard XP

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I just used a Park Tool Chain Cleaner:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tool-cm52- ... 00002215uk
    ...with plenty of degreaser. Worked fine. Then rinsed and dried off the chain, but I re-applied the Squirt as I'm staying with it until end of the bottle.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's wax based, so unless you want the faff of taking it off and boiling it, the best thing is to just start using oil as a chain lube and wiping down the chain frequently. The oil will soften the wax and gradually you'll remove it.

Or just start with a new chain. Maybe not if you run Dura Ace or Super Record though...

That was my experience with Squirt too. Had to reapply it too frequently, the flakes of dirty wax were shed directly on to the rear brake track, and in the wet it would be about 10 minutes before the drivetrain would start squealing like a piglet.