Cable tube or whatever it's called???

rickeverett
rickeverett Posts: 988
edited April 2016 in Workshop
Does anyone know what the plastic tube is called that is used on gear cables or where I can find some?

Trouble is my gear cables routed under the BB internally are exposed underneath and it's just bare cable. Where it comes.out of the frame there is a guide, but just bare cable.

The gfs cannondale has internal routing and has plastic tubing around the cables coming out of the frame for what I assume us extra protection? I assume it prevents the cable gathering dirt and running the guide away underneath??

Don't get me wrong, this isn't cable housing or sheath.

Any help would be awesome?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    fwiw i've found the powercordz liner lower friction, longer lasting and less likely to kink than the nokon liner (and this is when used with nokon links!)

http://clee-cycles.co.uk/P1343/product (first uk link, there'll be others)

i've also used it externally to protect powercordz cable on the chainstay in case of chain slap

alternatively you can just get some ptfe tubing, 2mm id will be fine, od 2.5 or 3mm, probably cheaper
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    You could also just leave the bare cables as they are. Millions of bikes have had bare cables under the BB for eons with very few problems. Covering them certainly can't hurt but not really necessary.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    You could also just leave the bare cables as they are. Millions of bikes have had bare cables under the BB for eons with very few problems. Covering them certainly can't hurt but not really necessary.

^ this. Assuming you clean the bike regularly no need for messing around with liner.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Cheers folks. Bike gets a good clean pretty often but I wondered if the liner helped prevend errosion of the plastic BB guide.
    Guess it will be OK for now if you think it's not necessary. As long as I know what it's called and where to find.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well in 45 years of cycling I've never had a gear cable corrode / break under the BB guide, nor have I ever worn a plastic BB cable guide out. So you may be seeking a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I do use stainless steel cables, and run full mudguards in the wet, which may help.

And in the unlikely event that either of those things happened, simply replacing the gear cable and / or the cable guide would be a quick, cheap and simple job.
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    It won't make any difference - in fact it is more likely to clog up being where it is - leave well alone