This a good bike to start with

pinder325
pinder325 Posts: 10
edited April 2016 in Road beginners
Hi,

I'm going to get a bike, mostly for commuting but will probably use it some weekends too, I've been trying to shop around for the best one but it's pretty hard to know what to look for! I think I've settled on this one - http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Barracuda-Corvus-II-2015-Road-Bike_75772.htm

What do you think? My max spend is £400,

Thanks

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,027
    Possibly not I'm afraid, do you have a Decathlon within reach? Their B-Twin brand gives a good bang for your buck.

I know you set £400 but an extra £50 gets you this...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-r ... 22663.html
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,027
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Both good alternatives there

The barracuda is like Vikings and dbr bikes, mince, you will spend more money getting them to work properly, the btwin is excellent value, the speech is a known brand

Don't opt for the false economy
  • That thing's garbage for £400.

Decathlon do great value entry-level stuff, or maybe look at what you could buy used for the same money.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    It also has a standard double chainset (52x39) which is fairly highly geared for a starter bike, especially if you are going to be climbing hills. Most new bikes nowadays come with a compact chainset (50x34) which would be a better option as regards gears. Another better gearing option would be a bike with a triple chainset like on the B'Twin 520 linked in a post above.
  • ExCyclist
    ExCyclist Posts: 336
    Buy the B'twin.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Not a good choice, there are better bikes at that price, if you can stretch your budget another £50 you will have a wider selection.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Got to agree with the above. A friend of mine has just bought a very basic entry level road bike... A Carrera TDF. OK, not the best but adequate for his needs ATM. That bike has similar spec to the one your considering for only £269!

I think if your budget is £400 you could do a lot better.

I must admit I had a thing for the Allez when I was looking at budget bikes, but the Triban does have a better spec for £50 more.

Happy shopping,
    Steve
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    Triban, excellent value for money.
  • Sportiveman
    Sportiveman Posts: 158
    Also Decathlon have a sale on at the moment triban 500se for £300 which would give £100 to spend on clothes/kit
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    The other advantage of Decathlon is their aftercare - they have a great warranty and can fix any minor issues. You don't get that buying a cheap bike from a general retailer or buying online.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    At 400 quid I would be looking at used bikes on ebay etc. could pick up a Giant Defy with 105 for 400 easily.