Matte finish frame protection worth it?

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited March 2016 in Workshop
Just got my beautiful new ride and it is a work of art. Like my previous bike the finish is matte and, after spending many hours last night applying some of the bike shield sticker thingys, it got me thinking is it really worth applying these 'protection' stickers? They claim they don't take the paint off when removed, and on my old Canyon they did not, but i know they can leave an imprint (presumably caused by light??). Do they really offer that much protection from scratches and chips? Is it really worth having them on?

The shop i bought the bike from looked at me like i was mad when i suggested i would put the bike shield on.Even though i had them on my previous bike, the picture their faces painted has created doubt in my mind. Should i apply the protective stickers or just leave the frame as it is??

Interested in opinions.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    YOur experience with the old matte finish bike isn't helping you here ?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Fenix wrote:
    YOur experience with the old matte finish bike isn't helping you here ?

Not really. You see it dawned in me that the stickers do detract from the frame and probably only offer minimal protection from minor scratches.

Just wanted to see what others thought really.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    My 2013 Cayo Evo has a matt paint finish and the only protection I've applied to it was some helicopter tape on the driveside chainstay. The rest of the frame has just been washed whenever it's needed it and the bike still looks fine. There is the odd small nick, but nothing that you can see from two paces and the bike has done around 7000miles.