Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,437
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/STPX3DF/pl ... orged-stem

though it doesn't mention steerer size
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    the s works multi stem, with the shim removed (makes it 1 1/4 ) will give you a steeper angle but not 17'. 12' i think but check before you buy :)
    its that or machine down the top cap of headset bearing, which is what my mate did on his giant.
  • rasmusic
    rasmusic Posts: 4
    I bought my Ricthey -17 degree stem (1 1/4") from Canyon in 2010, I bet they still sell them.
  • rasmusic wrote:
    I bought my Ricthey -17 degree stem (1 1/4") from Canyon in 2010, I bet they still sell them.

Thanks for replying but unfortunately they don't any longer rasmusic. I did email them. I have managed to find one. Fouriers. Had to order it from Taiwan. Will post up again when (if :D ) it arrives.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    Bontrager Race Light 17° Stem - black
    I got this from Bike24 last year for 23 Euros
  • W12 lad wrote:
    Bontrager Race Light 17° Stem - black
    I got this from Bike24 last year for 23 Euros

Couldn't see it listed on their site W12 lad.
    Has your bike got a 1 1/4" steerer?
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    Sorry.
    Was drunk when I wrote this.
    I missed the huge 1 1/4" part of the title. :oops:
  • W12 lad wrote:
    Sorry.
    Was drunk when I wrote this.
    I missed the huge 1 1/4" part of the title. :oops:

No worries :D
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Zip Beyond Black 17° stems are still available and IMO one of the nicest stems out there
  • 47p2 wrote:
    Zip Beyond Black 17° stems are still available and IMO one of the nicest stems out there

I've not been able to find one to fit a 1 1/4" steerer?
    Have you got a link?
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Probikekit website say they have them in stock... Link
  • 47p2 wrote:
    Probikekit website say they have them in stock... Link

They are 1 1/8" steering clamp.
  • Weeg
    Weeg Posts: 2
    I note that this is an old thread but I found it on my own quest for a more dropped stem for my Canyon. :?

Charlie Potatoes, how did you get on? The best I've found is a Pro stem at 10 degrees...

http://www.pro-bikegear.com/en-gb/catal ... -stem-1-14

At 100mm, this would drop my bars by 7mm compared to my stock 6 degree stem. An improvement, but far from the 19mm that a 17 degree stem would bring.

The S-Works multi stem (mentioned by mamba80) looks tempting at 12 degrees but conversations elsewhere suggest that, unlike some other shimmed stems, it's not actually 1.25" with the shim removed. That seems to make sense as the gap from 1.125" to 1.25" doesn't leave much space to allow for angle adjustment.

I'd be interested to hear what you've settled on. I'm considering a length change at the same time which would justify the Pro at 10 degrees. Sadly, with the appearance of integrated bar-stems, I'm not sure that the range of 1.25" options is going to grow... :(
  • I bought a couple from Taiwan. Great quality but expect to get stung by Parcel Force and Customs (around £30/stem).

http://www.fouriers-bike.com/en/pro.php ... &cid=7&f=2
  • Weeg
    Weeg Posts: 2
    Excellent - thanks for the feedback. I'd been struggling to find good info as many of the forum threads surrounding 1.25" stems are are a few years old. I'd seen that you'd ordered one but wasn't sure if it had arrived... :)

I suspect that I'll take a bit of extra time to make certain what length I'll go for and then put a Fourier order in. Expensive once customs are included but it's the one area of my Canyon that really annoys me.

Again, many thanks...
  • far canal
    far canal Posts: 3
    edited June 2016
    I bought a Canyon and found it difficult to find a 17deg stem and like Charlie Potatoes bought the Fourier stem; I also got caught with Customs which isn't a great deal in itself, however with Parcel Force's intervention they take their cut which doubles the sting to £30.
    It looks well made and I have been told it has a similar finish to a Thomson however it wasn't exactly the same as the current photo on the web site but not too dissimilar.
    I needed a long length and decided to go for the 140mm length however I should have stuck to the 130mm as I had measured incorrectly which I thought at the time was correct and the most obvious; i.e. from top of the stem steerer centre to the top of the handlebar centre.
    I didn't know this but they measure from an imaginary line 90deg from centre of the steerer out, (which is the length) then project down parallel to the steerer, when this hits the 17deg line (roughly horizontal) this is true length of the stem; this consequently makes the stem even longer.
    If this is hard to get your head around imagine a right angled triangle on top of the stem.
    The true stem length being the hypotenuse and the length you buy being the side adjacent to the hypotenuse.
    I assume this is worked out this way as a compromise calculation because the stem can be flipped?
  • far canal wrote:
    I needed a long length and decided to go for the 140mm length however I should have stuck to the 130mm as I had measuring incorrectly which I thought at the time was correct and the most obvious; i.e. from top of the stem steerer centre to the top of the handlebar centre.
    I didn't know this but they measure from an imaginary line 90deg from centre of the steerer out, (which is the length) then project down parallel to the steerer, when this hits the 17deg line (roughly horizontal) this is true length of the stem; this consequently makes the stem even longer.

That's interesting. I just measured mine. The 110mm is more like 120mm and the 120mm is more like 130mm.
  • far canal
    let us know if you want to sell on your 120 stem, it could work for me.
  • far canal wrote:
    let us know if you want to sell on your 120 stem, it could work for me.

I'll probably keep it as it is only just too long and I hope to stretch into it :)
    Unless I can find a 25 deg ?
  • far canal
    I assume that a 25deg stem will give you a lower stack height?
    I don't know if you have already spoke about this but......
    If this is what you are looking to achieve and you already have the 16mm Acros headset, this can be removed and replaced to a standard Aheadset from Canyon.
    The part numbers are:
    Top Cap A1005740
    Wedge A1005848
    The Top Cap is about 4mm so your stem will drop by another 12mm.
    The Wedge is a bit heavy and could be replaced with a lighter one however once I got my bearing tension correct I removed it. The stem if tightened correctly should keep everything in check.
    I have ridden like this for some time now with no problems.
  • far canal wrote:
    I assume that a 25deg stem will give you a lower stack height?
    I don't know if you have already spoke about this but......
    If this is what you are looking to achieve and you already have the 16mm Acros headset, this can be removed and replaced to a standard Aheadset from Canyon.
    The part numbers are:
    Top Cap A1005740
    Wedge A1005848
    The Top Cap is about 4mm so your stem will drop by another 12mm.
    The Wedge is a bit heavy and could be replaced with a lighter one however once I got my bearing tension correct I removed it. The stem if tightened correctly should keep everything in check.
    I have ridden like this for some time now with no problems.

Thanks far canal. Just what I'm looking for.