Combination pedals - discuss

MattW267
MattW267 Posts: 16
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Are combination pedals the best of both worlds or should I pick a side?
I'm new to MTB but familiar with clips on the road.

Comments

• kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    I have combination pedals on my CX/Commuter bike, because I quite often ride it with just normal shoes. However, I also like to take the thing for a blast around the local trails (and also .... shhhh ... for a proper road ride :oops: ), and therefore like to be clipped in wearing my MTB spd's ...

I know they're typically rubbished by most forum participants, but for me, they have their place ...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Useless for mountain biking.
    You can guarantee that their never up the right way when you put your foot on.
    The flat side is fairly rubbish anyway.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    As mentioned above, great for a commuter bike but no good for mountain biking.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,303
    I used to have some on my pub hack Marin when it got a lot more use than it does now, still have them somewhere I think. The flat side is slippery enough to be a bit dangerous if you're not careful, or half cut. You get used to them and can clip in fairly reliably once you get used to them. But having said all of that I got some flats on there now.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My daughter had combi's on her commuter/town bike for the same reason, the flats aren't great but OK, clipping in is a bit harder than with proper clipless but OK when you get used to it (as they always hang clip side down).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.