Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

Khamsin bearings

londoncommuterlondoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited April 2016 in Workshop
A little disappointing but my front Campag Khamsin wheel is barely turning now after just eight months of weekend use.

Guessing it's the bearings and that they'll have to be replaced. Is there any scope for servicing them?

Is it just unlucky as it's hardly been a hard winter so no salt etc and I've not used degreaser? Tempted to moan to the place I got them from but I guess bearings are consumable items and it's probably not worth the grief.

How much of a pain is it replacing them and which bearings would I need? Where can I get these in a hurry for a decent price?

Sorry for these basic questions which I'm sure are all online, it's just I thought this would be off the top of your head for some of you wise wheel experts!

Many thanks

Posts

  • keezxkeezx Posts: 1,311
    Loosen the endcaps with either 2 open spanners or 2 inbus hex keys.
    Pull/push the axle out.
    Whack the bearings out with a large screwdriver or similar (opposite side, push inner spacer aside)
    Bearings are most likeley 6001RS2, press or whack in with matching socket.
    Fit axle and other parts
    Job done.

    PS, these bearings last for years if no water enters the hub, do you clean with the garden hose or ride a lot in the rain?
  • londoncommuterlondoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Many thanks. So these would do?

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bran ... prod119270

    No, no pressure washer and it's been a really dry winter. I do use washing up liquid (but rinse off with tap water) so maybe not perfect but still.
  • keezxkeezx Posts: 1,311
    Brand X means cheapass China stuff which means you can do the job within a year again.
    Better get yourself something like SKF, censored or similar, should not cost over a fiver.
    http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advanc ... rds=6001RS
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 8,189
    Good luck knocking the axle out. I have a front Khamsin hub in need of a service and can I chuff shift the axle!
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • londoncommuterlondoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Good luck knocking the axle out. I have a front Khamsin hub in need of a service and can I chuff shift the axle!

    On the assumption I'm going to fail completely to do this, I've just bought some dodgy bearings off ebay which promise to arrive tomorrow. Bound to last a week.

    Thanks for everyone's help.
  • keezxkeezx Posts: 1,311
    These are really simple hubs, no reason for failure, only some parts may need some persuation to cooperate.....
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,496
    keezx wrote:
    Loosen the endcaps with either 2 open spanners or 2 inbus hex keys.
    Pull/push the axle out.
    Whack the bearings out with a large screwdriver or similar (opposite side, push inner spacer aside)
    Bearings are most likeley 6001RS2, press or whack in with matching socket.
    Fit axle and other parts
    Job done.

    PS, these bearings last for years if no water enters the hub, do you clean with the garden hose or ride a lot in the rain?
    Not sure I buy into "whacking" bearings in and out. Use the right tools or let someone with a bearing press do it for you. Do it correctly.
  • keezxkeezx Posts: 1,311
    A bearing press for 6001 bearings in a bike hub?
    You must be the sort of guy that sells the car when the ashtray is full.
  • londoncommuterlondoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    Wow, that was a doddle. I guess that's the benefit of the wheel being almost new in that nothing was seized and it came apart easily.

    Got some ludicrously cheap bearings delivered in less than 24 hours for £2.34 a pair:

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131127383752

    May not last forever but could hardly be worse than the stock ones the wheels came with.

    One thing, the bearings as fitted only had seals on the outside where the replacements obviously had them on both sides. Couldn't see the harm in leaving them on and hopefully that may even help.

    Scrimped on using a press and used the old bearings on top and gently hammered those. Again, maybe not the best approach and I guess I wouldn't do that with decent wheels.
  • keezxkeezx Posts: 1,311
    Nothing wrong with your approach as long as you're gentle .....
    I prefer it over using a press, with a press it's more likely to go slant and damage the hub.

    About the seals: I never understood why hub manufacturers use single side sealed bearings, I always replace them by double sided ones.
  • homers_doublehomers_double Posts: 6,703
    dennisn wrote:
    Not sure I buy into "whacking" bearings in and out. Use the right tools or let someone with a bearing press do it for you. Do it correctly.

    You do not need a press to install bearings, and contorary to popular belief neither do you need one for a headset.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,123
    And some manufacturers install bearings with double seals and sell the wheels as cyclocross specific. :D

    I like my Shimano cup and cone hubs with easily replaced ball bearings...
  • keezxkeezx Posts: 1,311
    Can you buy the worn races and cones too?
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,496
    keezx wrote:
    Can you buy the worn races and cones too?
    Yes.
  • keef66keef66 Posts: 13,123
    keezx wrote:
    Can you buy the worn races and cones too?

    Yes and no. Cones are generally available as spares, but if the races become badly worn / corroded then you'd need a new hub. Which for a Shimano factory wheel might not make economic sense.

    But I suspect that's the point you were trying to make.

    I find the sealing on Shimano hubs to be pretty good; an annual service and replacing the bearings every 4 or 5 years seems to keep them nice and shiny, so the hubs will easily outlast the rims.

    I get the impression that the single sealed cartridge bearings are particularly prone to early failure if ridden in the wet.
  • keezxkeezx Posts: 1,311
    Yes , that's my point.
    Cartridge bearings are 3-5 a piece and you will never have to throw away a hub.
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Good luck knocking the axle out. I have a front Khamsin hub in need of a service and can I chuff shift the axle!

    Irrc there is a cunningly hidden little spring clip that has to come out before you can get the front out - just undoing the end caps isn't sufficient.
    keef66 wrote:
    And some manufacturers install bearings with double seals and sell the wheels as cyclocross specific. :D

    I like my Shimano cup and cone hubs with easily replaced ball bearings...

    Campagnolo being a notable example of this! I just bought a brand new pair of Khamsins off an Ebay shop for 60 quid - got the CX version so the wheels should last a few weeks more before the first bearing replacement.

    I suspect that the bearings (single or double sealed) will last longer if occasionally slathered with grease but they are so cheap that it is one thing that I would probably end up just by swapping if I were taking the bearings out anyway. Sealed bearings are definitely a good setup for a commuting bike - the advantage over cup and cone is that failing to maintain them really has no significant consequence!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 8,189
    Rolf F wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Good luck knocking the axle out. I have a front Khamsin hub in need of a service and can I chuff shift the axle!

    Irrc there is a cunningly hidden little spring clip that has to come out before you can get the front out - just undoing the end caps isn't sufficient.

    Thanks Rolf. I've done that and it still won't budge. :(
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Good luck knocking the axle out. I have a front Khamsin hub in need of a service and can I chuff shift the axle!

    Irrc there is a cunningly hidden little spring clip that has to come out before you can get the front out - just undoing the end caps isn't sufficient.

    Thanks Rolf. I've done that and it still won't budge. :(

    Then you just need a bigger hammer! Seriously though - the only thing holding the axle in should now be the contact between the axle and the bearing which should normally just be a push fit. Have you tried running penetrating oil between the two?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Ben6899Ben6899 Posts: 8,189
    Rolf F wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Good luck knocking the axle out. I have a front Khamsin hub in need of a service and can I chuff shift the axle!

    Irrc there is a cunningly hidden little spring clip that has to come out before you can get the front out - just undoing the end caps isn't sufficient.

    Thanks Rolf. I've done that and it still won't budge. :(

    Then you just need a bigger hammer! Seriously though - the only thing holding the axle in should now be the contact between the axle and the bearing which should normally just be a push fit. Have you tried running penetrating oil between the two?

    That's the next step...
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
Sign In or Register to comment.